Technology of Wood and Plastic
Degree awarded: Master of Science in Engineering (MSc)
Workload: 120 ECTS
Language of studies: English
Duration: 2 years
Tuition fee: No tuition fee if the student is studying with full study load. If student fails to study with full study load then the price of 1 ECTS is 43 EUR.
Entry: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in natural sciences or technical fields. CV and motivational letter/ personal statement
Technology of Wood and Plastic is an international Master´s degree programme where students can freely choose between two fields of specialisation: woodworking technology and plastics technology.
The special studies in two main specialisations of this curriculum are based on practically relevant problem based learning, the theoretical wood or plastic technology courses are integrated with three research or industrial-related projects. Our partners are Estonian affiliated companies of the worldwide well-known concerns in manufacturing of wood, timber and paper products like Stora Enso LLC, or UPM Kymmene Otepää LLC in plywood manufacturing or Talent Plastics AB, Promens LLC for injection moulded plastic products manufacturing, or Pipelife LLC for plastic pipes extrusion etc.
- This Master programme is for students to have a basic special, vocational and professional preparation for working in the international wood industry producing sawn timber, profiled and panel materials based on wood polymer composites (plywood, MDF, wood chip panels, wood-plastic composites), timber, furniture- and upholstery furniture products.
- Nowadays furniture and upholstered furniture industry is using in construction plastic or composite sheet materials or injection moulded products. Therefore it is important to know the main types of engineering plastics and composite materials, technological properties and processing technologies’ of polymers.
- Students are getting familiar with new development trends in sustainable materials and products, where wooden and plastic waste from production and consumption are recycled for making new products or recovering energy.
- Three hands-on industrial projects accomplishment experience provides smooth transition from university studies to professional career in private company. The time for entering into the market with new product becomes shorter and shorter. Therefore the learned computer skills in virtual modelling, simulation of the part working conditions and testing of products form a good basis to find a diverse job in global mechanical or chemical engineering industry.
Future career options
Completion of the curriculum shall ensure the ability for a graduate to recognize and formulate problems related to his/her specialty and to solve them in a creative manner.
Graduates have acquired theoretical and practical knowledge in wood-, plastic- and composite materials and technological processes used in woodworking-, furniture-, upholstery furniture- and plastic converting industry. This enables them to make quick decisions in selection of suitable materials or processing technologies for product design project. The obtained fundamental practical knowledge in CAD-engineering programs, CAM-manufacturing technologies are nowadays globally important in every industrial sector. Another good option for graduates is to start their career as a scientific researcher or/and continue their studies at the PhD level.
Please pay attention as this programme you are applying for, has prerequisites:
- Motivation letter/ personal statement 1-2 A4 pages (It should include: previous working and studying experiences; previous skills’ and experiences. Why you are interested in this programme? What kind of job do you wish to have after graduating?).
- CV - working experience benefits.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural sciences or technical fields.
- Level of English B2 or higher. We accept TOEFL ibt (min. score 70) and IELTS (min. 5.5) certificates.
EU, Turkey, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine (and students who do not need a visa to enter Estonia )
** Information on application process can be found here: http://www.ttu.ee/admission/
This school offers programs in:
Last updated April 4, 2016