The Master of Science in Strength and Conditioning is designed to produce highly qualified coaching professionals in the field of Strength and Conditioning and human performance. It will prepare graduates for roles in all levels of sporting and physical activity sectors from elite, developmental and recreational levels as well as in general fitness and community health and wellness programme administration.
This programme is intended to provide students with an excellent opportunity to acquire a deeper understanding and knowledge in the fields of strength and conditioning and human performance. The programme has been designed with a range of specialist modules to develop the knowledge and skills associated in the area of Strength and Conditioning. The balance of theoretical and practical content will examine advanced strength and conditioning methods, fitness testing and sport coaching technology, fundamental movement, entrepreneurship and management.
This MSc in Strength and Conditioning (S&C) is delivered by Setanta College lecturers in partnership with Limerick Institute of Technology (LIT) Thurles, Co. Tipperary, Ireland. The application process for this course will take you to the Limerick Institute of Technology (LIT) website.
- Advanced Strength Training and Conditioning
- Sports Management and Entrepreneurship
- Performance Testing and Technology
- Biomedical Aspects and Sport Nutrition
- Human Motion and Movement Analysis
- Research Methods and Special Topic
This programme aims to provide students with:
- An advanced understanding of both current and emerging knowledge and practice in Strength and Conditioning (S&C)
- Practical coaching skills in advanced Strength and Conditioning
- Preparation and encouragement to pursue future directions in either academic study or professional coaching opportunities
- An advanced skill set in business and entrepreneurship
- Higher order creative, critical and reflective thinking skills that encourage research, application and evaluation
- A multidisciplinary approach to working within the discipline of S&C
- A rigorous research understanding including the publication of a dissertation
- Skills and confidence to contribute to the development of knowledge and practice in S&C
The minimum entry requirement is a Second Class Honours Grade 2 Degree in Strength and Conditioning or Sports Science related area or approved equivalent qualification.
Non-standard entry will be considered for applicants who hold a Degree with considerable relevant experience (minimum 3 years). Consideration may also be given to ability and experience evidenced by an RPL portfolio of prior experience and learning. An interview may form part of the selection process.
Please complete the 'Postgraduate Taught Masters Application Form'
For further information, Contact the Admissions Office
This is a practical based MSc programme that will produce graduates capable of coaching, planning, managing and implementing an S&C programme. As such, it is expected that graduates will be well prepared to accept high levels of responsibility within a variety of sports and fitness industry sectors as well as education and business fields. They include but are not limited to:
- Elite and amateur level Strength and Conditioning in sport
- National Governing Body of sports (NGB) in Strength and Conditioning
- Research and academia
- Education, health and public sector
- Health and Fitness industry
- Freelance and consultancy
- Sports equipment and exercise technology
- Community activity
A unique feature of the programme is the inclusion of a Management and Entrepreneurship module. This is seen as a core module for S&C coaches to embrace relevant skills of enterprise and marketing necessary to build an S&C profile, reputation, and if desired, business.
The course has a full-time delivery option in Ireland (Thurles). This option is traditional campus-based and is 12 months in duration.
The course is also delivered part-time via distance learning. Lectures are delivered online and in block workshop days at our regional campus bases - 2 weeks per year (10 days). The course is 24 months in duration, with the option of finishing after the taught element with a Postgraduate Diploma in Strength & Conditioning.
Setanta College lecturers are experts in their fields. They are highly qualified, enthusiastic Strength and Conditioning coaches. They come from all walks of life and are drawn from varied sporting backgrounds such as rugby, athletics and GAA.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 3, 2015