Master of Science in Corporate Governance and Directorship
Good Corporate Governance is no longer just a slogan, but a road map for corporate success. The collapse of Enron and Lehman Brothers has led to serious recessions around the world. Today’s corporate leaders are faced with daunting new challenges posed by the global credit crisis, changing regulatory climate and complex accounting regulations. To ensure business sustainability and to cope with global challenges, corporate governance has become a focal concern, not only to business leaders but also to corporate stakeholders.
The HKBU School of Business launched the MSc in Corporate Governance and Directorship (MScCGD) Programme in 2005. The main objective is to equip corporate leaders, executives and professionals to maximise their contribution to sound governance. This Programme is dedicated to empowering students with cutting edge knowledge and skills, incorporate knowledge and research. Graduates should serve their organisations better with fresh ideas and information, while supporting their boards towards achieving greater success.
Our students have been exposed to a different learning experience at HKBU. The well-rounded curriculum, engaging professors and veteran practitioners provide an action-oriented learning environment. With all these, we trust our graduates will discover how to strengthen their corporation’s ultimate responsibility and performance, both internally and externally.
Dr. K.L.Alex Lau
The MSc in Corporate Governance and Directorship (MScCGD) Programme adopts an integrated approach to equip current and future corporate leaders and directors with various distinguished theoretical tools and cutting edge knowledge and skills to strengthen the corporate governance system of their host organizations.
On career front, our MScCGD Programme assists graduates to develop themselves as company directors (both executive and non-executive), chief financial officers, chief executive officers, board secretaries, fund manager, risk managers, internal auditors, regulators or market intermediaries (such as auditors, analysts, investment bankers, credit rating agencies and lawyers).
On education front, it is suitable for professionals who are interested in the studies of corporate governance as an intellectual endeavor.
Programme Theme and Learning Goals
Corporate Governance, equipped with practical knowledge and skills.
Our Learning Goals
- Students will have the knowledge in contemporary corporate governance and have related problem solving skills supported by corporate governance principles and theories.
- Students will be able to analyse critically the major stakeholders’ monitoring roles in solving corporate governance and related business problems.
- Students will have the knowledge and awareness of the laws and regulations related to corporate governance, and the ethical and corporate social responsibilities required by professional managers and directors under a changing business environment.
- Students will be able to analyse critically corporate transparency and strategic financial policy in relation to corporate governance.
An Innovative Curriculum
The Programme offers 9 course-work courses in a variety of disciplines, including accounting, finance, legal studies, management and business ethics. At the final stage, students are required to complete an integrated graduate project to apply their knowledge and skills developed throughout the programme.
Classes are maintained at a medium size to allow discussion between teachers and students. Small group composition has successfully helped students of different backgrounds to achieve greater synergy in project assignments. Besides class lectures, various methods of instruction are employed to develop analytical skills and critical minds as well as a culture of teamwork. These methods include case analysis, class presentation, group projects, report writing, etc.
Flexible Mode of Study
Students can choose to complete their studies either in a full-time mode (12 months, 3 trimesters, 3 to 4 courses in each trimester) or a part-time mode (18 months, 5 trimesters, 2 courses in each trimester) .
Classes are normally held at our campus from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. on weekday evenings and/or from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in weekend afternoons. The official medium of instruction is English.
Part-time applicants may now apply on-line.
Applicants should posses:
- a Bachelor's degree with honours in Business from a recognized university or comparable institution, or an equivalent qualification (such as professional qualifications in Accounting, Finance, Company Secretarial Practices or Law); OR
- a Bachelorˇs degree in other disciplines if they have obtained relevant experience and/or training in business or related fields (such as Accounting, Company Secretarial Practices, Finance, Law, Management and so on); AND
- a minimum of three-year relevant work experience.
Since English is the medium of instruction, applicants should possess a good command of English. If English was not the medium of instruction for undergraduate studies, applicants are required to provide evidence of good English proficiency (e.g. a minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based); 213 (computer-based) ; 79-80 (internet-based) / IELTS overall band score of 6.5 / an equivalent score on a comparable test.
Appropriately qualified applicants will be required to attend an interview as part of the selection process.
Applicants who have graduated from a non-business degree and do not possess training / experience in the area of business or related disciplines may be required to take an intensive foundation course before the first trimester begins.
- 31 March of the current year (full-time)
- 31 May of the current year (part-time)
Part-time in 5 equal installments*
Full-time in 3 equal installments*
* one installment per trimester
Programme Commencement Date
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 6, 2015