Degrees Available at SIUE
• Master of Science in Civil Engineering
• Ph.D. in Engineering Science, a cooperative program with SIU Carbondale siue.edu/engineering/phd
Why Civil Engineering?
Students have the fundamental training and education through a Bachelor of Science to take their expertise and career to the next level. Earn a graduate degree in civil engineering and explore the possibilities available through conducting research in environmental, geotechnical, structural or transportation engineering. Tackle the problems associated with pollution, make transportation systems safer, enhance the quality of bridges, highways and buildings, and improve the design of earthen structures and underground space.
Civil Engineering at SIUE
A comprehensive program through the School of Engineering allows students to pursue a graduate degree in civil engineering while gaining expertise in the field. Students may choose a concentration in environmental, geotechnical, structural or transportation engineering. Whether students are working professionals or fulltime students, the graduate program introduces them to the skills and knowledge they need for professional advancement. Students will have the opportunities to conduct field and lab-based research and learn from highly qualified faculty who are experts in their fields.
A graduate degree in civil engineering from SIUE opens doors for students in a variety of areas. Potential employers consist of consulting engineering companies, government agencies, industries or academia. With the right experience and advanced education, students can become self-employed consultants. An education from SIUE prepares students for advancement opportunities and places them in a better position to get the job they want in a competitive employment market.
• A bachelor’s from an accredited university for a master of science; An MS from an accredited university for a PhD
• An undergraduate technical GPA of 2.75 or above for MS, a MS GPA of 3.5 or above for PhD (A=4.0)
• GRE is not required for MS, but is required for PhD
• Personal statement specifying desired concentration area
• International students: TOEFL – 550 PBT, 79 iBT; IELTS - 6.5
• For those just below the admission GPA criterion, a letter of explanation and supporting evidence is required (see website for details). If admitted, those who do not have a bachelor’s in civil engineering may be required to complete prerequisite courses that are not for graduate credit. Further information on the department’s policies can be found at siue.edu/engineering/civilengineering.
Application Deadlines for Domestic Students
• Fall Semester: July 15
• Spring Semester: November 15
• Summer Semester: April 15
For more information, visit siue.edu/graduatestudents/apply
Application Deadlines for International Students
• Fall Semester: June 1
• Spring Semester: October 1
• Summer Semester: March 1
For more information, visit siue.edu/internationalstudents
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 17, 2015