MSc in Chemistry - Program Overview
The master of science degree in Chemistry is offered on a part-time or full-time basis. The program options are designed to fill the needs of both the practicing chemist in the greater Rochester industrial community and the full-time graduate student.
The department of chemistry has research- and teaching-oriented faculty, as well as excellent equipment and facilities, that enable full-time graduate students to carry on a program of independent study that develops the ability to attack scientific problems at the research level. The research can result in either a thesis or a project report.
Through course work and research experience, the program strives to increase both the breadth and depth of the graduate student's background and to provide an opportunity for the student to attack scientific problems on his or her own initiative with minimal supervision.
To be considered for admission to the MS in chemistry program, a candidate must:
- hold a bachelor’s degree in chemistry from an accredited college or university. Applicants with a bachelor’s degree in another scientific discipline and the equivalent of a full year’s course work in analytical chemistry, organic chemistry, physical chemistry, physics, and calculus also will be considered for admission.
- submit undergraduate transcripts,
- submit scores from the Graduate Record Exam (chemistry exam is recommended),
- submit two letters of reference, and
- submit a completed graduate application.
Spoken and written English language proficiency is required for regular, supported, admission to the MS Chemistry program. International students who do not speak English as their primary language must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores will be accepted in place of the TOEFL exam. Minimum scores will vary; however, the absolute minimum score required for unconditional acceptance is 6.5.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 24, 2016