MS in Business: Accounting
The MS in Accounting is the flagship graduate accounting program offered by the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland. Designed for accounting professionals looking to maximize their marketability, the program will provide you with the tools you need to advance your organization – and your career – in this challenging legal and regulatory business environment.
In today's era of heightened accountability, organizations are charged with carrying out rigorous internal auditing to meet strict corporate governance and other accounting and auditing standards. The demand for highly trained accounting professionals who can successfully interpret new rules, better understand business control processes, and design effective internal controls has never been greater.
This innovative accounting program will prepare you for the expanded role accounting now plays in consulting, information management and strategic planning. It was developed by Smith's world-class faculty – leaders in the fields of accounting and auditing – to provide a reality-based learning environment. Developed for both full-time students and working professionals who enroll on a part-time basis, the program can be completed in 12 months as a full-time student and 16 months as a part-time student.
The MS in Business: Accounting program is ideal if you are employed by:
- Public accounting firms
- Internal audit departments of public and non-public corporations
- Internal audit departments of non-profit organizations
- Internal audit departments of government departments and agencies
The program offers general accounting, internal audit, public accounting and taxation track options, along with the opportunity to network with other accounting professionals.
Classes are held at two of our campus locations in Maryland – College Park and Rockville (Shady Grove). Both are easily accessed from all points throughout the Washington, D.C. metropolitan region, which spans from Baltimore to northern Virginia.
The MS in Accounting program only admits students during the fall semester.
The following are required to be considered for admission into the program:
- Online application and fee of $75.
- Equivalent of a US bachelor's degree.
- Completion of undergraduate Managerial and Financial Accounting courses with a B or better.
- Transcripts for each college or university attended. If the transcript where you received your degree does not state the degree was conferred, please also upload a diploma or copy of your degree received (most schools already list the conferred degree on the transcript). If you are formally admitted to the University of Maryland, you will be required to submit an official transcript at new student orientation. If your transcript is not in English, please also upload a copy of your transcript translated into English.
- One letter of recommendation.
- Professional Resume.
- Video Response.
- The Graduate Record Examination® (GRE®) and the Graduate Management Admissions Test® (GMAT®) are both accepted exams that are recommended but not required.
- TOEFL or IELTS official scores (international students only).
- October 15, 2012
- December 1, 2012
- February 1, 2013 *
- April 1, 2013
* Final deadline for international applicants
The tuition is approximately $46,000 for the Shady Grove location. At the College Park location only, your tuition rate is dependent on your residency status in the state of Maryland. If you qualify for in-state tuition rates, your cost will be approximately $46,000. If you qualify for out-of-state tuition rates, your cost will be approximately $55,000 for the College Park location. These amounts do not include books and additional course materials that are required to attend class. These tuition figures are based on fall 2014 costs and will change for the fall 2015 term.
We look forward to reviewing your application package.
Last updated March 30, 2016