Master of Science - Marine Biology and Ecology
Marine Biology at JCU excels in the study of tropical shallow water marine systems with emphasis on coral reefs and surrounding waters, seagrass, mangrove assemblages and the adjacent sandy and rocky shores.Marine biology is the study of organisms in the marine environment.
Who is this course for?
You will develop expertise in marine ecology, conservation biology, and the biology, life history and taxonomy of tropical marine organisms. This is a flexible course offering you a range of electives so you can tailor a study program to meet your professional needs and interests.
How you will study
Preliminary coursework subjects are offered in the main study periods. Many subjects involve independent research projects and field trips. More advanced subjects are offered by block mode, which are 2-week intensive sessions on campus or at JCU’s research stations.
Coursework programs are flexible, with a range of electives available. Students devise a study program to meet their professional goals, in consultation with the course coordinator. Programs may contain a research component, if approved.
TheSchool of Marine and Tropical Biologyteaches this course. The School is a leading education and research centre for biology in the tropics.
- Internationally-recognised undergraduate, postgraduate and research programs in biological sciences
dedicated research vessel, and research stations at Orpheus Island and Paluma
more tropical courses and subjects than any other institution in the world
teaching and research facilities including the Advanced Analytical Centre and the Aquaculture Research Facility.
A postgraduate qualification from JCU can enhance your career prospects, enable you to reskill and change careers completely, or develop a specialist area of expertise and personal interest.
A range of opportunities await graduates in the academia as well as in private and public sectors.
Graduates with BSc Honours of Masters can get jobs as research assistants or support staff for teaching. With a PhD, you can gain research positions (Postdoctoral, Fellowships) that are often funded for a few years or apply for permanent positions as a lecturer and researcher.
In the private sector, opportunities exist for biologists and conservationists working for non-governmental organisations (e.g. Nature Conservation Agency), environmental officers in companies and environmental consultants (a real growth area of the industry).
In the public sector, employment may be found at multiple levels – federal institutions, state level, or local government – such as in the Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS), Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA) Commonwealth Science and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Environment Protection Authorities (EPA), Councils, Trusts, to name a few.
- MB5004:03 Marine Conservation Biology
- MB5160:03 Evolution and Ecology of Reef Fishes or MB5190:03 Coral Reef Ecology or MB5400:03 Life History and Evolution of Reef Corals
- MB5300:03 Sampling and Experimental Design or MB5230:03 Design and Analyses in Ecological Studies
- SC5055:03 Research Communication Skills in the Natural Sciences
Options Select 6 credit points (2 subjects) from the following level 5 science subjects:
- BZ5001:03 Quantitative Methods in Science
- BZ5220:03 Population and Community Ecology
- BZ5440:03 Ecology and Conservation
- BZ5640:03 Marine Plants and Algae in their Environment
- EV5203:03 Conserving Marine Wildlife: Sea Mammals, Birds, Reptiles
- EV5505:03 Introduction to Geographic Information Systems
- MB5070:03 Marine Evolution and Biogeography
- MB5160:03 Evolution and Ecology of Reef Fishes
- MB5190:03 Coral Reef Ecology
- MB5230:03 Design and Analyses in Ecological Studies
- MB5300:03 Sampling and Experimental Design
- MB5350:03 Current Issues in Coral Reef Ecology
- MB5380:03 Invertebrate Biology
- MB5400:03 Life History and Evolution of Reef Corals
- MB5430:03 Behaviour of Marine Animals
- MB5550:03 Biology of Reef Corals
PLUS Select 18 credit points of any level 5AQ,BC,BZ,EV,MB,MI,TOorTVsubjects. This list includes research options.