Master of Science Communication Networks and Services
Telecom SudParis (France), Aalto University (Finland), Asian Institute of Technology (international organisation), HKUST (Hong Kong) and NCTU (Taiwan) jointly offers a unique Euro-Asian curriculum at the master's level addressing key issues in communication networks and services. This program offers courses that are designed for students who wish to obtain current and cutting-edge skills in Communication Networks and Services.
Students who graduate from this programme taught in English will receive two master degrees, one from Asian Institute of Technology (where is held the first year) from Telecom SudParis (where is held the second year). Our graduates are ready to apply cutting-edge concepts and technologies in the IT and in the telecommunications industry.
NOTE: For master students already enrolled at Aalto, AIT, NCTU or HKUST: 1) the selection and application will be processed at your home university though you can contact the programme director at TSP for information (see below) 2) No tuition fees are paid at Telecom SudParis 3) students spend the first year in their own university and the second year at TSP 4) Students who graduate from this programme will receive a MSC from Telecom SudParis and a master degree from their own university.
This program introduces our students to the ICT fundamentals and provide the background in multimedia networks and services while targeting a theoretical background and practical knowledge. The objective is for them to learn networking principles while also becoming acquainted with deployment of these networks with a specific focus on services, and to anticipate the major changes that will occur in the IT and telco industries.
This program covers the entire span of network infrastructures, access networks, core networks and service layers. The coursework addresses the service architecture for fixed and mobile networks with a focus on Telco Service architectures (IMS, NGN), Web Services and future trends (Internet of Things, P2P, Social Networks).
The program also offers real-world experience. During the second year, in addition to six key technical courses, a course on telecom management and economics will give students essential information about markets in Europe. Student will work on a Master's thesis which can be conducted in collaboration with industrial partners or research laboratories. Students (enrolled at AIT/NCTU/Aalto/HKUST) are also invited to join in professional activities as the ICIN international conference.
World-renowned experts from Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs, Orange Labs, France Telecom, Cisco and ETSI are invited to give lectures.
Target students and feedback from graduates
This MSc program in Communication Networks and Services is designed for new graduates who have a good academic record and also for engineers and professionals who wish to upgrade their knowledge in telecommunications. Graduates of this programme have been employed by leading telecommunication companies, IT industry firms, research centers and universities in North America, Europe and Asia.
Feedback from Graduates:
"The faculties and guest lecturers from different international institutions and industries helped me to learn about most recent technologies. Telecom SudParis also provided me the opportunity to visit different countries to experience the most modern advancement in the field of Telecommunication presented by experts and scholars. Telecom SudParis's strong link with industries provides students the opportunities for career development in terms of internships and jobs, as well as , opportunity to pursue higher studies."
Neetya Shrestha (2011), Alcatel Lucent Bell Labs
"Selecting to the dual degree program between AIT and Telecom SudParis was one of the best opportunities I got in my life. The subjects were complimentary and I got the experience of France, it's language and culture and also opened up PhD and job opportunities"
Mathew Goonewardena (2011), Telecom SudParis
"Courses taught in ComNETS introduce the latest technology and ongoing research in the field of communications and networking across the globe. Guest lecturers from various industries like Alcatel, France telecom, Cisco and highly experienced professors at school make learning experience more fruitful and enjoyable."
Sirsha Bhattarai (2010), Altran
Registration for the dual MSc degree AIT-Telecom SudParis
Students enrolled in this programme will spend their first year at AIT and their second year at Telecom SudParis. Graduates will receive a Master from AIT and a MSc from Telecom SudParis. The first year's tuition and registration fees of 376000 Thai baht are paid at AIT, and the second year's tuition and registration fees of €5000 at Telecom SudParis. Additional costs include living expenses in Thailand and France as well as medical insurance and travel costs to both countries. Applicants shall register both at
- AIT. Students shall add a letter stating that they are applying for the daul degree programme AIT-TSP
- AND at Telecom SudParis. After March 31st, please send an email to the programme director.
All in-class lectures and materials are conducted in English. Evidence of English ability is not required from applicants who graduated from a university where English is the major medium of teaching.
To be eligible for admission to the Master's program, an applicant MUST:
- hold a Bachelor's degree (normally from a four-year program), or its equivalent, in an appropriate field of study from an institution of recognized standing;
- have undergraduate grades significantly above average; the minimum GPA requirement for admission is 3 or equivalent at bachelor degree level.
- produce evidence of proficiency in English in the form of an internationally recognized standardized test score; scores of 5 IELTS, 540 at least TOEFL or 207 Computer TOEFL are accepted ; the requirement that a standardized test score be included in the applicant's file can be waived if the applicant submits a certificate confirming that his/her previous degree was earned at a university at which the sole medium of instruction was English.
First year: at AIT.
Second year: all courses take place at Telecom SudParis, Evry (France), 30km South of Paris.
Curriculum and programme
The curriculum for this four semester programme is as follows:
- The two first semesters are held at AIT.
- Semesters three and four are held at Telecom SudParis and focus on specialisation coursework and the MSc Thesis.
- Optionally, student can take in internship (paid in most cases) in the industry after defending their master's thesis.
Degrees granted (DUAL DEGREE PROGRAMME): upon successfully completing their studies, the students earn both a master's degree from AIT AND a MSc degree from Telecom SudParis.
Programme at AIT (1st year - for external applications only)
In the first year, students have the opportunity to choose one of four fields of study at AIT: Telecommunications, Information and Communication Technology, Computer Science, or Information Management.
Programme at Telecom SudParis (2nd year)
- New Trends for Future Services
- Next Generation Networks and Services
- Wireless Access and Transport Technologies
- Wireless Local Area and Personal Networks
- Service-oriented Computing
- Optimisation: Theory and Network applications
- Business Modelling for Mobile Services