Master of Professional Accounting
AUT University encourages early application. This programme will remain open until all places have been filled.
The Master of Professional Accounting (MPA) is designed for those who have completed a bachelor's degree in any field of study and wish to obtain a postgraduate qualification in accounting.
The programme provides an advanced understanding of accounting principles and practice within business and the wider economic environment and gives you the opportunity to change career path if you do not have a background in accounting.
The MPA provides you with the academic requirements for membership with the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants (NZICA), Certified Practising Accountants Australia (CPA Australia), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) - the pathway for those wanting to become registered chartered accountants.
Accounting offers excellent job opportunities both in New Zealand and internationally. There is strong demand for highly skilled accountants and senior managers with a strategic understanding of accounting and finance. Careers include:
- Chartered accountant
- International accounting firms
- Management accountant
- Chief financial officer
- Finance manager
- Forensic accountant
- Senior management
- Business consultant
- Tax specialist
Is this the right qualification for me?
The MPA is a good choice if you:
- Wish to gain membership with professional accounting bodies to become a registered chartered accountant
- Want to change career to become an accountant
- Require the practical knowledge and skills to become a literate and analytical accounting professional
- Applicants must have completed a bachelor's degree (your degree can be in any subject or discipline and does not have to be in accounting or business)
- Applicants for whom English is a second or additional language must have an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 overall and a minimum of 6.0 in each band. For more details, please refer to English Language Requirements in AUT’s Academic Calendar
- Admission to the Master of Professional Accounting is subject to the approval of the Dean (or representative)