Master of Music
Within the Master of Music at HKU University of the Arts Utrecht, you have the opportunity to develop further as an instrumentalist, vocalist or composer. You do this by drawing up and following your own personal study plan. In this study plan, you choose a pathway and describe what you want to focus on. Fixed components of the course are practice-oriented research and an internship.
The Master of Music is a two-year full-time course. It is also possible to follow the Master of Music part-time. The part-time programme takes 4 years. The Master of Music has 2 pathways: Performance and Music Design.
In order to be accepted for this pathway, you must have completed a professional music course at bachelor’s level. There are various courses within the Performance pathway:
Within this course, you can specialise in: Ensemble, Orchestra, Solo or Accompaniment (for piano and harpsichord).
• Jazz & Pop
• Music & Arts Education
• Church Music
• Community music & arts
Music Design pathway
Within the Music Design pathway, you can specialise in Composition, Music Production, Music Technology and Sound Design. You can follow this pathway if you have successfully completed a Bachelor’s course in composition, music production, music technology, sound design, or a similar course.
Seven reasons to choose for the Master of Music at HKU University of the Arts Utrecht
• personal study plan
• personal coaching by tutor, supervisors and teachers
• practice-oriented research
• practice-oriented internship
• contacts with the professional field: venues, music organisations, etc.
• training in business and organisational skills
• masterclasses and clinics
And within the Pathway Music Design, also:
• Interdisciplinary projects in cooperation with animation, modern dance, theatre, film, games, fine arts, et cetera.
• Artist in residence projects
• Collaboration with the Music Design research group: presentations and conferences.
On completion of your studies, you are awarded the internationally recognised degree Master of Music.
This school offers programs in: