MS in Business: Finance
The financial crisis on Wall Street and around the globe has forever changed the way we think about finance. The world of modern finance is now shaped by evolving regulation, globalization and a renewed focus on corporate responsibility. Now more than ever, financial planning and decision making depend on understanding and using the new ideas and tools required in sophisticated financial management. In the Smith Master of Science in Business: Finance program, you’ll gain the leading-edge knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in today’s complex and networked world of finance.
You’ll also learn from some of the best financial minds in the world. Smith finance faculty have held active roles in advising large financial institutions, multinational corporations, and government and multi-lateral agencies. In addition to prestigious academic journals, their research has also appeared in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal and other international business publications.
Core courses provide excellent fundamentals and a large number of electives allow students the flexibility to become specialists or highly qualified generalists. You’ll learn how to analyze and direct the financial decisions of an organization, and gain a fresh understanding and a deep appreciation for the theoretical foundations of finance today.
Classes are held at our Washington, D.C. campus in the Ronald Reagan Building & International Trade Center, and in College Park, which are both easily accessed from all points throughout the Washington, D.C. metropolitan region, which spans from Baltimore to northern Virginia. The Ronald Reagan Building is located within walking distance of the White House, U.S. Department of Treasury headquarters, and other important national landmarks.
The MSBF program only admits students during the fall semester.
The following are required to be considered for admission into the program:
- The equivalent of a US bachelor's degree with sufficient mathematical background.
- The Graduate Record Examination® (GRE®) or the Graduate Management Admissions Test® (GMAT®). At least one official score must be submitted.
- A completed online application form that includes a written essay articulating your qualifications and motivation for pursuing advanced education.
- Application fee of $75.
- The online application allows you to upload a copy of your transcript(s) for each college or university attended. If the transcript where you received your degree does not state the degree was conferred, please also upload a diploma or copy of your degree received (most schools already list the conferred degree on the transcript). If you are formally admitted to the University of Maryland, you will be required to submit an official transcript at new student orientation. If your transcript is not in English, please also upload a copy of your transcript translated into English.
- One letter of recommendation from supervisors within your organization or from professors familiar with your work.
- Admissions interview, if required. After initial screening, the Admissions Office may select candidates for interviews which may be done in person or by telephone. The Admissions Office will contact you to schedule an interview time.
- Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS official scores).
- For any international student needing an F1 visa, a completed certification of finance form and supporting financial documentation must be received before a formal admission decision can be made. The certification of finance form is located in the online application. All financial documents can be uploaded into the online application.
- October 15, 2012
- December 1, 2012
- February 1, 2013 *
- April 1, 2013
* Final deadline for international applicants
The tuition is approximately $45,000 for the Washington, D.C., location. Tuition rate in College Park is dependent on your residency status in the state of Maryland. If you qualify for in-state tuition rates, your cost will be approximately $45,000. If you qualify for out-of-state tuition rates, your cost will be approximately $55,000. This amount does not include books and additional course materials that are required to attend class. These tuition figures are based on fall 2012 costs and will change for the fall 2013 term.
We look forward to reviewing your application package.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 30, 2016