Master of Finance
The first of its kind offered in Canada, the Sobey School of Business's Master of Finance program will be celebrating its 10th anniversary in 2013.
Our innovative 12-15 month program effectively prepares graduates for professional careers in:
- financial analysis and advising,
- portfolio and risk management, and
- corporate finance.
Based in theory and focused on real world applications, in addition to attaining a specialized degree in finance, our graduates are provided with extensive preparation for the Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA) designation.
The Sobey MFin is ideal if you are interested in launching or advancing your career in the corporate world, public sector or industry.
A combination of classroom instruction, hands-on use of financial data and proprietary financial management software, as well as the completion of a major research project prepares students for a range of financial careers. Students have access to First Trust S&P Reit (FRI) software used by banks, insurance companies and government agencies to manage their portfolios as well as Bloomberg Professional software. Students may also work independently toward Bloomberg Certification to strengthen their employability upon graduation.
The Sobey MFin has been accepted into the CFA Institute University Recognition Program. This status is granted to institutions whose degree programs incorporate at least 70% of the CFA program Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK) which provides students with a solid grounding in the CBOK and positions them well to sit for the CFA exams.
Graduates are prepared for careers as financial analysts, portfolio managers, and risk managers, for positions in corporate finance, academia and for further research in finance.
The intensive, 12 month program begins in September with a semester of foundation courses followed by two semesters of rigorous finance study and the CFA® Workshop. The final requirement is the major research project, which is completed through the last 6 weeks of the summer semester.
Students whose first language is not English and who have not studied in an English language environment begin their studies at the end of June/beginning of July with the 8 week MFin English for Academic Purposes.
- Enrolment is limited and preference will be given to candidates who exceed the minimum requirements listed below.
- The admission requirements for the Master of Finance program are:
- A four year university degree (or equivalent) in mathematics, engineering, physics, computer science, economics or other mathematical discipline with an overall minimum average of B;
- An average quantitative score of:
- 75% for students with engineering, physics, computer science and mathematics degrees
- 80% for students with business degrees
- 85% for students with economics and international trade degrees
- For applicants whose first language is not English or who did not graduate from an English medium university, a minimum English proficiency score of:
- IELTS 6.5 with no individual band score below 6.0
- TOEFL 550 or iBT 80 or equivalent
- Two letters of reference
- A satisfactory score on the GMAT will be considered an asset
- Related work experience will be taken into consideration
- A personal interview with a Saint Mary's representative may be required.