Master of Fashion and Textiles
The only Master of Fashion and Textiles in Australia, this unique and globally renowned program will build your knowledge and expertise in the areas of fashion and textile design, technology, supply chain and business management as well as add to your existing textile, merchandising and fashion skills base.
Through your studies you will develop the entrepreneurial expertise to start your own business and lead an organisation efficiently and effectively.
You’ll work on industry-based projects that connect you with senior industry figures from leading international brands such as Husk, Country Road, Review, Target, Charles Parsons & Co, Myer, Textor Textile Technologies and others.
This program is relevant to a broad cohort of designers, technologists and industry managers and those with a fashion and textiles merchandising, marketing, art and design, academic or business background.
You will graduate with a strong strategic focus and understanding of the global fashion and textile technology, design and business markets.
Lecturers in this program are academics, industry experts and professionals who are highly experienced in the areas of fashion design, fashion management, global business issues, marketing, retail and merchandising, leadership and innovation.
A key focus of this program is the development of critical thinking in strategic management and leadership skills.
Through fashion and textiles research and industry engagement you are given opportunities to connect with senior industry figures and leading global companies in fashion and textiles. This program is unique in that it:
- is the only Master of Fashion and Textiles program in Australasia
- offers a strategic global and business focus
- is based in Melbourne, Australia’s fashion capital
- conducts industry-based projects with major Australian brands including Myer, Charles Parsons & Co, Country Road, Target and other leading textile companies.
The Master consists of 192 credit points.
If you have an undergraduate degree in the discipline of fashion and textiles, you will be eligible for the 1.5 year (144 credit points) duration of the program. You will receive 48 credit points exemption from the University for 4 courses in the program's first year.
You can exit this program at the Graduate Diploma level.
Program entry requirements
One of the following:
- Completion of an Australian Bachelor degree or equivalent or
- Completion of a Diploma or Advanced Diploma or equivalent with significant professional practice in a relevant field. Typically this would involve at least 5 years' practice in the fashion and textiles industry.
Successful applicants whose undergraduate degree is from a non-related discipline, and who do not have significant work experience in the fashion or textile industry, will be required to complete an additional course - PROC1061 Textile Materials - which is offered as a single course during the first semester of study. You must enrol into this course concurrently with your first semester courses in the Master of Fashion and Textiles. You must enrol through RMIT Short and Single Courses. There will be an additional cost to do this course.
English language requirements
To study this program you will need to complete one of the following English proficiency tests:
- Academic IELTS (minimum scores) overall band of 6.5 with no individual band below 6.0
- TOEFL (Paper-based): minimum score of 580 (with a Test of Written English (TWE) score of 4.5)
- TOEFL (Internet-based): minimum score of 92 with a minimum of 20 in each section
- Cambridge English (Advanced CAE): CAE Grade B
- Pearson: Minimum score of 58 (no band less than 50).
Last updated January 6, 2016