If you’re an environmental or business professional looking to advance your current skill-set, or an environmental science graduate looking to develop high-end business skills, this degree is the perfect way for you to achieve your career goals.
The Master of Environmental and Business Management degree program provides professional development in the areas of environmental science and business management. With a demand for environmental management as part of business requirements, improving your ‘green’ credentials can potentially give your career a leading edge. You’ll learn key management approaches associated with environmental concerns, and you’ll learn from the best.
This degree is geared toward the emerging requirements for sound environmental management as part of the overall business process. It includes a unique blend of environmental courses that focus on key principles of environmental management, sustainability and climate change together with core business courses that will broaden your understanding of topics such as human resource management, corporate finance and project management. As a graduate you will possess a unique combination of environmental and business skills preparing you to pursue your passion for environmental science or to gain a deeper understanding of the environmental issues directly influencing your workplace.
Our advanced online learning system provides you with the flexibility and support to study anytime, anywhere to balance work, life and study. You can achieve your fully accredited Master of Environmental and Business Management at a time that suits you.
Is it for you?
Would you like to combine your knowledge and passion for the environment with contemporary business principles to guide business' environmental practices? If you are looking for a way to be more active in shaping the way businesses consider the environment and their environmental impact, the Master of Environmental and Business Management at the University of Newcastle will prepare you with the know how to make that happen.
Reflecting society's current move towards green based practices, the program offers studies with practical course work designed to assist you to grow your skill set and develop your business acumen.
This online program is designed and delivered by some of the best in the field, to challenge you and assist you in building your skills in environmental and business management. At the end of your studies you should be able to take on more senior roles developing environmental management plans and strategies.
The University welcomes applicants that have existing qualifications or experience in:
- Conservation studies
- Environmental rehabilitation studies
- Geography (human and physical)
- Marine science
- Resources and environmental management
- Policy studies
- Social ecology
- Environmental studies
- Urban and regional planning
Individuals with experience or qualifications outside these fields are still encouraged to apply.
The Master of Environmental and Business Management provides professionals with a unique combination of extended knowledge and leading edge skills useful for enhancing, advancing or even changing career paths. The importance of high-level business management skills within an environmental context cannot be underestimated and will continue to make graduates from this degree attractive to future employers.
In many ways this program, offered via GradSchool, will suit students who are already working for non-governmental organisations, government or the private sector. Depending on your area of specialisation, you may wish to move into policy development, natural resource management, environmental and social impact assessment or systems modeling, to name just a few possible career paths.
Offered entirely online, with a Master of Environmental and Business Management, you will have the competitive edge you need to further your career.
To successfully complete the Master of Environmental and Business Management, you will study core courses in environmental management, sustainability, business and the natural environment. Through additional directed courses, you will learn basic legislative and policy requirements for environmental protection in Australian and international contexts and gain an understanding of how global climate change influences policy development relevant to business practice. You will apply this advanced knowledge to a number of case studies, while developing your ability to critically examine and explain a number of legal approaches to natural resource management, global biodiversity, politico-economic issues and fundamental concepts in environmental law. You will emerge with a well-developed understanding of how environmental issues can be integrated into broader corporate strategies.
- Students with a three year Bachelor degree (AQF Level 7) in a different discipline area (also called non-cognate discipline) to Environmental Science and Management are eligible to undertake the 160 unit program which can be completed in 2 years full time or 4 years part time.
- Students with a three year Bachelor degree (AQF Level 7) in a non-cognate discipline who also hold a minimum of two years demonstrable Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) in an area related to Environmental Science and Management (also called cognate discipline) will study between 120 and 160 units. These students must apply to the Program Convenor or Head of School for advanced standing in the Masters, in recognition of relevant RPL. These applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Students with a three year Bachelor degree (AQF Level 7) in an Environmental Science and Management discipline (or cognate discipline) are eligible to undertake a 120 unit program which can be completed in 1.5 years full time or 3 years part time.
- Students with a four year Bachelor degree (AQF Level 8) in a non-cognate discipline or a combination of a three year Bachelor degree in a non-cognate discipline with a Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma (AQF Level 8) also in a non-cognate discipline are eligible to undertake a 120 unit program which can be completed in 1.5 years full time or 3 years part time.
- Students with a four year Bachelor degree (AQF Level 8) in an Environmental Science and Management discipline (cognate discipline) or a combination of a three year Bachelor degree in a non-cognate discipline and a Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma (AQF Level 8) in an Environmental Science and Management discipline (cognate discipline) are eligible to undertake the 80 unit program which can be completed in 1 year full time or 2 years part time.
Minimum English Language Proficiency Requirements
Applicants who do not speak English as a first language must demonstrate that they meet the University's English proficiency requirement. Further information regarding English language proficiency requirements can be found at the English Language Proficiency for Admission Policy at http://www.newcastle.edu.au/about-uon/governance-and-leadership/policy-library/document?RecordNumber=D15/15438
This school offers programs in:
Last updated April 10, 2016