Complex software intensive systems permeate every aspect of our lives. These systems are among the most complex products humankind has ever tackled. Software Engineering is the disciplined application of proven principles, techniques, and tools to the creation and maintenance of cost effective, user friendly software systems that solve real problems.
To accommodate the demand for well educated software engineers in almost all industries today, UCCS has established the Master of Engineering degree with a Focus in Software Engineering. UCCS offers a unique environment to study, learn, and share experiences surrounding this special engineering discipline. Our faculty comes from a broad spectrum of backgrounds. Many have had years of experience in industry prior to joining the faculty. The result is a diverse melting pot of ideas, technologies, and experiences.
- Graduates of the MESE program can manage a mid to large size software project.
- Graduates of the MESE program contribute as a productive member in a software team for large software project.
- Graduates of the MESE program practice lifelong learning and keep themselves up to date with emerging Software Engineering knowledge.
- Graduates of the MESE program contribute to Software Engineering Journals and Conferences.
- Students should know the proven principles/techniques/tools, current standards, and best practices of Software Engineering.
- Students can perform independent research in the area of Software Engineering.
- Students can apply the Software Engineering process in the software system project.
- Students have developed effective communication skills and professionalism.
You will need the following:
- A Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Arts degree in mathematics, computer science, engineering, or information systems.
- An overall undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 (on a scale of 4.0; awarded within the past five years) or minimum 148 GRE (new grading scale), quantitative portion. Applicants with a grade point average of less than 3.0 or awarded more than five years ago may be admitted on a case-by-case basis. Applicants with a grade point average between 2.75 and 3.0 awarded within the past five years may be admitted provisionally. International applicants must follow the international applicant admission requirements located on the 'How to Apply' page.
- It is recommended that the applicant have two years experience with commercial, industrial or government software development or maintenance.
- A concise statement of experience and career goals.
- A completed online application, including all required supporting documentation.
- Knowledge of a modern programming language, e.g., Pascal, Java, or C++
- CS 1450 Data Structures and Algorithms
- Math 2150 Discrete Mathematics
- CS 3300 Software Engineering
Note: Some of these courses may have prerequisites, and any comparable course from another approved university will suffice.
The following is needed in order to graduate:
- An overall 3.0 grade point average in all graduate work
- All work applied to the degree must be accomplished within a six year time limit
- Up to 9 credit hours of relevant graduate work may be transferred from an accredited graduate program at another institution or taken as a non-degree seeking student at UCCS, provided course work has not been used for any other degree, grade earned for the course(s) is B or better, the course work has been taken within past six years, and the course coverage is equal in level, content, and depth to the course for which is it being substituted.
- All courses included to count for this degree must be part of an approved plan of study. This plan must be developed by the student and approved by his/her advisor prior to completing 12 credit hours of course work.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 26, 2016