Master of Education by Research
The Master of Education by Research promotes the interdependence of research, learning and change.
You’ll develop advanced research principles and methods and mastery of a body of knowledge in education by completing a thesis or project. Your challenge will be not just to generate new knowledge but also to investigate how this knowledge informs action.
Through the program you’ll access and nurture industry partnerships and collaboration with other researchers.
Individually supervised research programs are available in:
- primary education
- secondary education
- early childhood education
- information and communication technology (ICT) and educational curriculum
- higher education
- discipline-specific areas – literacy, numeracy, science, arts and creative arts, social science, curriculum design and sustainability.
Learning and teaching
Time spent on research
Research programs can be undertaken in a full-time or part-time mode. The academic year is 48 weeks.
Regular contact with your supervisor
Candidates are required to establish a schedule of compulsory regular meetings and milestone reviews with their supervisor/s to assess progress against the research plan and overall progression towards timely completion.
Resources, facilities and support
You will be part of an active research community and be able to access a range of resources and workshops to help you succeed in your research and be part of a wider learning community.
Entry into a Research program at RMIT is not based solely on academic achievement and applicants must meet the following minimum academic requirements to be considered for candidature.
English language requirements
To undertake most research programs at RMIT, you must have achieved one of the following English proficiency test results within the last 2 years:
- Academic IELTS (minimum score) overall band 7.0 with no individual band below 6.5
- TOEFL (Paper Based) minimum score of 600 (with a Test of Written English (TWE) score of 5.0)
- TOEFL (Internet Based Test – iBT) minimum overall score of 100 with a minimum of 24 in writing and 22 in all other sections
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic) minimum score of 65 no band less than 58, or
- Cambridge English(Advanced CAE): CAE Grade B (no band less than Good).
Last updated January 6, 2016