Master of Disaster Management
Recent disasters have generated a need to gain expert and specialist knowledge for many professionals, including engineers, policy planners, urban designers, development experts, project managers, economists, scientists, health and social professionals.
The Master of Disaster Management will prepare you for a career in disaster management, by providing you with the multidisciplinary knowledge and skills required to underpin successful approaches to addressing the management of disasters in complex urban environments.
The Master of Disaster Management will prepare you with the relevant skills to work in the fields of disaster risk, recovery, resilience or disaster management.
- Gain a quality degree from New Zealand’s top University, ranked 82nd in the QS World University Rankings 2015/16.
- The University is ranked 59th in the world for Engineering and Technology. Our individual subject rankings are 43rd for Civil & Structural Engineering, and in the top 100 for Chemical Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering,and Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering (QS World University Rankings 2015/16).
- The University of Auckland is home to the largest number of top-rated researchers of any New Zealand university (Performance Based Research Fund Report 2012).
- Student life is vibrant within the faculty, with the Engineering Atrium providing a relaxed environment for students that can be used for both study and socialising. The atrium includes an oval-shaped 250-seat lecture theatre, four new computer laboratories and a café.
The Master of Disaster Management can be taken full-time as either a one-year, or 18-month programme, depending on your current level of qualifications.
Made up of a research project and taught courses, the programme covers core disaster management knowledge and allows you to develop a holistic, yet balanced mix of disaster management-related knowledge and skills.
For entry into the one-year programme you must have a bachelors degree in Engineering, Laws or Planning, or a bachelors honours postgraduate degree in Science, Arts, Commerce or Health Sciences, or the equivalent of the above, from a recognised institution.
For entry into the 18-month programme you must have a bachelors degree in Arts, Commerce, Science or Health Sciences, or the equivalent, from a recognised institution.
In assessing your application, we will take into account the ranking of the institution at which you have completed your bachelors degree as well as the grades achieved in the relevant subjects (you will need a grade-point average of equivalent to a B or 5).
The Master of Disaster Management is taught entirely in English. You must therefore be able to understand, speak and write English fluently.
To be eligible for entrance, international students must achieve:
- Academic IELTS 6.5, with no band less than 6.0 or
- TOEFL (paper-based) 575 (TWE 4.5) or
- TOEFL (internet-based) 90 (written 21)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 9, 2016