The Master of Design (MDes) program welcomes students from around the world. Graduates become thought leaders, researchers, strategists and change agents at the most inﬂuential global organizations. They demonstrate novel yet feasible solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. In short, they make our world better.
Throughout the Master of Design program students collaborate in multi-disciplinary teams on real-world projects with partners in healthcare, business, CPG, civics and more. Projects focus on local and global challenges, addressing problems through innovation, rigor, and creativity. Bloomberg Businessweek recognizes IIT Institute of Design as one of the world’s best design schools.
In addition to experienced designers, we encourage students with no formal design training to apply. A nine-month Foundation program provides prerequisite skills and experience. Approximately 50% of students come from non-design backgrounds such as business, engineering, liberal arts, computer science, and architecture.
The Master of Design is a two-year, 54-credit-hour degree program. Over 80% of the courses in the program are electives (seminars and workshops) allowing students to customize their program of study. Students can choose courses ranging across communication design, product design, strategic planning, user research, interaction design and systems design.
Nurturing career development is a priority for ID students. The school hosts RecruitID, a twice-yearly event that draws top global organizations looking to hire ID graduates (or secure summer internships for first year students) for a range of positions generally tied to innovation and new business opportunities. Positions include strategists, researchers, planners, innovation and communication managers. Employers value ID students and graduates for their abilities to take on challenging problems through the application of rigorous methods.
Organizations have employed our graduates as: – Design Planner – Design Strategist – Senior Innovation Strategist – Director of Product Development – Director of Innovation Methods – Director of User Research – Brand Strategist – Director of Interaction Design – Senior Information Architect – Director of Strategy and New Business Development
- 4 semesters (2 semesters additional with the Foundation program)
- 54 credit hours (30 credit hours additional with the Foundation program)
- Full-time residency is required for the Master of Design program
Start your application to the Master of Design program today. To complete your application you will need to provide the following:
- Portfolio of work. 5-15 pages that demonstrate critical thinking, concept exploration, and proposed solutions. For those applicants without an undergraduate design degree, a GRE/GMAT test will be required instead of a portfolio. (GRE minimum 310/340 or 3.0/6.0, GMAT minimum 600/800 or 3.0/6.0)
- Statement of educational objectives. 1-3 pages including career goals and reasons for studying at the Institute of Design. An additional interview (by phone, Skype, or in person) may be required.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae. 2-4 years of professional practice is typical, but not required. Full-time internships, volunteer work, and freelance projects will be considered.
- Transcripts from all prior degrees. Degrees must be from an accredited educational institution with a minimum cumulative GPA 3.0/4.0 or equivalent. For international applicants without a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited English-language university, a TOEFL or IETLS test is required. (TOEFL minimum 100, IETLS minimum 7.)
- Letters of recommendation. Three letters from professional or academic references commenting on your goals and abilities.
- Application fee. $100.00
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 26, 2015