Master of Business (MBus)
Knowledge, research and critical reflective capabilities are essential in complex and changing business environments. The Master of Business is a 180-point research master’s degree, which develops critical and reflective graduates with applied research capabilities. This study is grounded in a rigorous understanding of a specialist field relevant to your professional and research interests.
Minimum entry requirements:
• Bachelor of Business or equivalent
• Graduate Diploma in Business
• B grade average or higher in all relevant prerequisite papers
English language level: (International students only)
• IELTS (academic) no less than 6.5 overall with a minimum of 6.0
in each band.
• Students of the Master of Business can only choose
a specialisation in which they have a major in their
undergraduate degree or they have focused on in their
• Acceptance is dependent on the availability of appropriate staff
to supervise research in the selected area of study. .
To graduate with a Master of Business, you must successfully
complete 180 points including:
1. Specialisation papers
These papers provide comprehensive coverage of the latest
research in the chosen specialisation. Students who wish to
undertake a thesis must complete at least 60 points in a single
Students who wish to complete a dissertation must complete at
least 60 points in a single specialisation, plus 15 or more points in
other papers from the same or another specialisation – subject to
2. Research methodology paper(s) (30 points)*
The research methodology paper(s) provide an introduction to
philosophical issues shaping the design of research projects as
well as choices in research methods available.
* Economics, Finance, Marketing and Taxation students must completespecific research methodology papers in their specialisation.
3. Thesis or dissertation
• Thesis (90 points) OR
• Dissertation (45 points).
Specialist areas include:
• Business InformationSystems
• International Business
• People and EmploymentManagement
Postgraduate pathways into the MBus
Graduates of the Bachelor of Business (Honours) or the
Postgraduate Diploma in Business may apply for admission to the
Master of Business.
Applicants who have an undergraduate degree in another field are
usually expected to complete the Graduate Diploma in Business
with a B average or better in their chosen subject.
Applicants with relevant overseas qualifications will be assessed
individually and may be required to undertake a preliminary
course of study.
Doctor of Philosophy
The AUT Business School has over 30 professorial staff leading our
curriculum. Our academic staff are capable, enthusiastic teachers
and experienced researchers. The Faculty Postgraduate Office
staff provide assistance and guidance to students throughout