The MA in Theology provides a graduate-level foundation in central areas of theology. It is especially appropriate for those who wish to teach theology at the secondary level or prepare for doctoral-level studies in theology.
Students complete the following 10 courses for 3 credits each, and may begin studies in Year A, B or C.
Courses will be offered on the following schedule on Tuesdays each semester, with the first course at 1:00-3:40 p.m. and the second course at 6:00-8:40 p.m.
The second, evening course will also be offered via videoconferencing at selected locations.
In subsequent rotations, afternoon courses will move to evening times, and evening courses to afternoon times.
Students may also enroll in one course per semester, recognizing that this will lengthen the time needed to complete the degree.
MA in Theology students also complete a written comprehensives examination to assess their grasp of foundational topics in theology. Further guidelines are available from the Department of Theology.
Fall Semester 2014
- Theol 520, Christology: Tuesdays, 1:30-4:00 PM
- Theol 509, New Testament: Tuesdays, 6:00-8:40 PM
Spring Semester 2015
- Theol 543, Social Ethics: Tuesdays, 1:30-4:00 PM
- Theol 531, Ecclesiology: Tuesdays, 6:00-8:40 PM
Fall Semester 2015
- Theol 510, Old Testament: Tuesdays, 1:30-4:00 PM
- Theol 541, Theological Ethics: Tuesdays, 6:00-8:40 PM
Spring Semester 2016
- Theol 538, Sacraments: Tuesdays, 1:30-4:00 PM
- 577 Intro to Catechetics/Theo of Human Development: Tuesdays, 6:00-8:40 PM (or other course approved by the department Chair)
Fall Semester 2016
- 579 Catechesis of Adults/Leadership in Faith Community: Tuesdays, 1:30-4:00 PM (or other course approved by the department Chair)
- 539 Theology of Ministry: Tuesdays, 6:00-8:40 PM
- In addition to the courses listed above, a required course, Theol 508, Theological Foundations, will be offered periodically when there is sufficient enrollment, or a substitution will be approved by the department Chair.
Financial Assistance for M.A. in Theology
Partial Tuition Discounts:
MA in Theology students may apply for partial tuition assistance as follows. These discounts may be utilized for one degree at Duquesne University, and students must re-apply for them annually. Forms are available through the university Financial Aid Office, phone 412-396-6607.
50% Discount for Lay Ministers and Catholic School Teachers:
Lay ministers employed at least part-time in the Dioceses of Pittsburgh and Greensburg, as well as Catholic school teachers in local dioceses, receive an automatic 50% tuition discount.
50% Discount for Clergy and Vowed Religious: Ordained clergy of any denomination, and members of Catholic religious congregations, receive an automatic 50% tuition discount. 50% Discount for Students over age 60.
This school offers programs in: