Master's Programme in New Media - New Media Design and Production
Would you like to explore the exciting opportunities new digital technology opens to communication, interaction and expression – and find a career where you can utilise your creativity? New Media Design and Production is a major subject within the Master’s Programme in New Media, focusing on art and design in interactive media. The education is project-oriented, combining practice with theory. You can focus on dynamic visualisation, art & culture, interaction design and interactive & generative storytelling. The programme is fully taught in English, and your master’s thesis can be written in Finnish, Swedish or English.
Graduates from the programme have
- the ability to understand the complex demands of New Media and the skills for creative collaboration, concept development, design and realisation
- a broad understanding across disciplines, in addition to a deepened knowledge into one's own special expertise
- the capability to critically analyse and develop established design traditions
- the ability to extend their professional competence
- a good foundation to continue external or doctoral studies
- During the studies you will get familiar with a variety of tools to understand the characteristics of new media.
Academic communication and writing are a significant part of the studies, and additional research oriented courses can be chosen if you aim for an academic career. Students and researchers are encouraged to network internationally, and have an option to spend a part of their studies abroad through any of our exchange programmes.
For further details on the education content, see the study guide for the academic year.
The students have an excellent basis for an international career. Their future professional profiles relate to the various fields of new media design and research, including interface design, interaction design, information design, interactive storytelling, new media production, media art & design, software design and digital animation.
Entry to the MA in New Media, Major in New Media Design and Production takes place through the Aalto ARTS master's student’s admission process. A batch of students representing a variety of skills, backgrounds and talents are selected every spring. The procedure consists of three stages: (1) a written application letter which describes your background, experience and motivation, followed by (2) a set of assignments and finally, (3) an interview, which also includes a portfolio pitch.
Grounds for the selection of students is based on a holistic review of the application, including proven artistic/designer talent, motivation and personal development potential as well as the applicant's academic history, cultural activities and previous activities in the field of new media. Deciding factors are demonstrated talent and suitability within the desired field of study. In addition, New Media Major applicants are expected to have
- work experience in digital media environments
- insights into new media design and/or new media production and/or related research
- fluent English (oral / written)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 21, 2016