The Master of Arts in International Economics, Business & Cultural Diplomacy is a two-year program offered by Furtwangen University (HFU) in partnership with the Academy for Cultural Diplomacy.
The degree provides a comprehensive base of studies in several academic disciplines related to International Economics, Business and Global Politics, with a particular emphasis on cultural diplomacy and its historical and contemporary application in the public sector, private sector and civil society. The degree prepares students for careers in diverse fields, such as the field of international relations, the humanities, business, the financial sector, politics and culture, with a special focus on Cultural Diplomacy institutions and the application of Cultural Diplomacy in the framework of foreign policy and international economics. The program addresses contemporary international issues, with classroom seminars and lectures, as well as educational & cultural events, conferences, professional trainings, tours, visits and meetings with foreign officials, which are further incorporated into the curriculum. Students will meet with leading experts working in international organizations, embassies, and academic institutions, and will engage with specialists in the areas of International Relations & Economics, Business, Communication, Politics, Human Rights, Culture, Peace Building, Multilateral Diplomacy, Conflict Resolution, and Development.
The program provides students with practical experience for both academic and professional development, preparing students for careers in diverse fields, such as international relations, the humanities, business, the financial sector, politics and culture, with a special focus on Cultural Diplomacy institutions and the application of Cultural Diplomacy in the framework of foreign policy and international economics.
On a practical level, the international environment of the Center for Cultural Diplomacy Studies offers students a unique opportunity to interact with leading experts and academics at a wide variety of international organizations and research centers. This exceptional learning environment leads to original research and independent study opportunities. It allows students to create a solid professional network and form a concrete base for future academic and professional career choices, preparing students for engagement in the international arena, civil society, politics, governmental organizations and international economic organizations, as well as the private sector.
The program consists of 120 ECTS credits in total and has duration of four semesters, which take place in Berlin. The first two semesters of the program are hosted by the Institute for Cultural Diplomacy in Berlin and the third and the fourth semesters are hosted by the Furtwangen University (HFU) - Berlin Campus.
The program follows the conventional university structure of a two academic years’ program divided into four semesters. Students are offered elective courses to accompany mandatory courses, professional development experience and the final thesis.
The first 2 semesters will take place in the Center of Cultural Diplomacy Studies (CCDS) in Berlin. The semester will consist of three mandatory modules and two elective courses. The second semester will consist of the professional development program and 2 elective courses. The 3rd semester will consist of four mandatory modules. On the 4th semester the students will produce a final thesis on a related topic of choice and will undertake a Project Work course/Workshop related to the preparation of the Thesis. At the end of the forth semesters, the students will be then required to defend their Thesis at the Furtwangen University (HFU)
Dates of Next Programs for 2015-2016
Enrolments to the Program are possible towards the fall, winter and spring semesters’ start each year.
Enrolments are possible for Program's Next Start;
Fall Semester 2016 - October 3rd, 2016
Winter Semester 2017- February 8th, 2017
Spring Semester 2017- April 11th, 2017
For Fall Semester 2016 - August 15th, 2016 for late admissions For Winter Semester 2017 - December 1st, 2016 For Spring Semester 2017- January 31st, 2017
The Master’s Degree is awarded by the Furtwangen University (HFU), which is recognized as a fully accredited institution of higher education with the right to award university degrees. the Furtwangen University (HFU) is part of the Bologna Process set in place by the European Commission, and uses the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) to award degrees. Credits obtained through the MA program are equivalent to those of courses at universities in all other 30+ signatory countries. Students will earn 30 credits per semester during the MA program, for a total of 120 credits upon completion.
Individuals studying for the MA will represent a diverse range of cultural and academic backgrounds. Candidates will include recent BA graduates as well as young professionals who combine strong academic backgrounds with significant work experience. Individuals are required to hold a BA degree (or equivalent Degree) of minimum of 3 years studies, as degrees from across the world and from any field are acceptable*. We do not consider any one element of an application exclusively. Rather, our admissions panel considers academic achievement as well as personal qualities such as strength of character, motivation and the ability and willingness to take on new academic challenges. Our aim is to attract students from a variety of backgrounds and countries that will foster a unique and diverse learning environment.
- Current undergraduate students are able to submit an application and participate in the pre-enrolment process, by submitting a confirmation of their current studies and their transcripts.
All courses are taught in English, thus an evidence of adequate competence in English is required for the applicants whose mother tongue is not English. If you have studied at least 1 semester in an English language and/or have extensive working experience in the English language, a certificate/Document which attests this fact will be sufficient as well.
The application form is found under:http://www.culturaldiplomacy.de/index.php?ma-furtwangen
Once submitting the online application form, we will then refer to you with an e-mail, indicating your application reference code and will outlining all the next steps, including the supporting documents required for the application.
The supporting documents required for the application process:
• Official Undergraduate/Graduate Degree Transcript: A copy of undergraduate degree (and of graduate degree, once applicable) transcript. If it was issued in a different language than English or German, a certified translation in one of the two languages has to be submitted.
• Official Diploma: A copy of the official diploma from the university that awarded the undergraduate degree (and graduate degree, once applicable). If the document was issued in a different language than English or German, a certified translation in one of the two languages has to be submitted.
- Current undergraduate students are able to submit an application and participate in the pre-enrollment process by submitting a confirmation of their current studies and their transcripts.
• Passport and/or National ID Card Copy: A scanned copy of your passport photo identification page and/or of your National ID Card should be sent to the ICD. The information on your passport should be clearly legible.
• Motivation letter: A personal statement of at least 1, max. 2 pages (A4) explaining your motivation for undertaking the MA Program.
• Curriculum Vitae (Resumé): This should include information of the applicant's academic background (institutions attended, courses studied); professional experience, if applicable; hobbies and interests; any awards or scholarships received and your full contact details. The curriculum vitae should be no longer than 2 A4 pages.
• Certificate of language competencies: Certification of language competencies is required by applicants whose mother tongue is not English. If the applicant has studied in English for at least 1 semester before or has worked abroad for at least one year in an English speaking country, a certificate which attests this fact will be sufficient. Otherwise attestation through language certificates are required; minimum level is 60 points in TOEFL (iBT) or equivalent in other relevant tests (i.E. TOEFL (iBT): min. 60; TOEFL (PBT): min. 520; TOEIC: min. 670; IELTS: min. 5.0; Cambridge English Certificates: min. PET (Preliminary).
• Essay: A writing sample of between 2-5 pages on any topic related to the fields of the program or former/current studies and/or professional experience.
Applications are being processed on a regular base, as enrolment to the program is possible towards Fall, Winter and spring start, each year
Tuition Cost -
The tuition cost is 12,000 Euros for the full program (6,000 Euros/Academic Year). The fees cover only the tuition fees, and do not include housing or any other living costs and related expenses which you may have. .
Installments It is possible to pay the total tuition fee in 2 installments (6,000 Euros/academic Year), however if the student is able to make one payment of the entire tuition fee before the start of the studies, they will receive a discount of 10% on the total tuition cost (to 10,800 Euros in total for the full tuition fees).
Personal Costs - The ICD and the Furtwangen University (HFU) are happy to assist you with advice and support for finding your housing and offer you as well possible affordable accommodation solutions.
Scholarships- Scholarships, equaling up to 10% deduction of tuition costs are available for students based on educational excellence and financial need. Although each scholarship request will be evaluated on an individual basis, students are expected to have an above-average grade point of 4.5 (of 5.0) in order to qualify for a grant and then to prove financial need.
The Financial Aid application is a two-step process; Students interested in applying for a scholarship are required to submit their initial aid application request as soon as they have formally applied to the program, completed the first step of the application, and have been accepted into the program.
Scholarships are then determined for the second and 4th semesters.
Further to these scholarship outlined in our e-mail and online, we are not able to offer any further scholarships or financial support.
Students are welcome to search for scholarships, such as from governments, or other Institutions. With regards to how to obtain such funding, we encourage participants to consider relevant foundations, institutes, organizations, companies and Governments as possible sources. A number of students on ICD programs have been able to acquire funding from their government, company or from relevant foundations.
We do not have any specific sponsor to which we can refer students.
To view all the Degree programs offered by the center FOR cultural diplomacy studies, please visit: http://www.ccds-berlin.de/index.php?en_ba-ma_list-of-programs
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 2, 2016