The MA Artist Educator is designed for artists who work in formal and informal educational contexts and are critically conscious of their pedagogical approach to teaching in the arts. It will provide them with an opportunity to develop as professional practitioners in arts education. Participants will reflect on their own practice and observe the arts practices and pedagogies of others, both locally and globally. They will have the opportunity to transform their practice for the benefit of themselves, students, community and industry, and to contribute to the growing field of research in arts education.
Artist Educators are drawn from, and engage with, the full range of the arts from the creative and performing arts, to visual, design and curatorial practice. Emphasis will be given to practice-led research and the teaching of the creative arts.
The artist educator integrates their own arts practice with their teaching, so that the two processes inform and enhance each other. The Programme is designed to develop the artist/practitioner/educator/researcher.
Practicing artists and active educators should apply. Applicants will be committed to developing future generations of emerging artists. They will wish to know more about educational theories, curriculum design, delivery and resources as well as assessment strategies. Applicants will build upon their skills and knowledge, and develop strategies to support students to break boundaries, experiment, research, innovate and create new contemporary work.
Candidates will be engaged in studio or practice based arts education. The cohort will represent diversity in the arts, and may include musicians, fashion designers, sculptors, animators, theatre directors, dancers, film-makers, community artists, graphic designers, and more.
Additional coursework may be required before acceptance into the programme based on applicant’s qualifications.
Applicants for this Programme of study require:
- A good Bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a recognised tertiary institution (ideally in the area of Arts or Education with Honours preferred)
- Substantial experience as a practising artist/arts professional/researcher (at least four years)
- Experience as an educator (at least two years)
- A satisfactory score in written and spoken English OR a minimum of IELTS 7.0 or TOEFL iBT 100 for applicants from countries where English is not the first language or whose qualifications are obtained from institutions where English is not the medium of instruction.
Applicants will provide:
- An up-to-date CV
- A portfolio/documentation representing your arts practice and current arts teaching or educational work
- A 500-word personal statement explaining why you wish to undertake the Programme (applicable for applicants interested in the PGDip award) OR a 800-word statement outlining your intended research area(s) which will culminate in the MA dissertation (applicable to applicants who wish to undertake the MA Programme)
- Two letters of recommendation; one professional, one academic
- Letter of approval to enrol in the programme from the educational organisation where you teach
- Completed disclosure form
Last updated July 29, 2015