Master of Advertising
This program is the only one offered in Australia, providing industry-focused and in-depth analysis of advertising by academic and professional sources from around the world.
Throughout this program you will learn from industry-connected teachers and develop the following skills:
- conduct, use and critically evaluate research while understanding its significance for decision-making in a global communication and convergent media context
- evaluate and apply theories to devise and present advertising communication strategies and solutions based on market sectors and industry trends
- solve advertising and marketing communications problems on your own and as an interdisciplinary team member
- critically analyse and respond to the sustainable, social, technological, historical and economic changes that affect and influence the advertising and marketing communication industry
- reflect on your own and others' practice in relation to change, professional responsibilities and theoretical perspectives of advertising strategy
- communicate knowledge through understanding your own practice in relation to industry literature and best practice
- develop your leadership skills for contemporary and emerging advertising practices.
You will also use these skills to learn about planning and buying.
Graduate Certificate and Graduate Diploma exit points are available.
Your study of managing complex advertising campaigns will be integrated with learning about other promotional activities including commercial sponsorship, sales promotion, brand, public relations and direct response.
You will also study specific professional areas including branding theory, account management, account planning, strategy planning, media planning and agency management.
Note: While you will study creativity in advertising, the Master of Advertising is not targeted specifically for a career in copywriting or art direction. However, you can choose from a number of electives which may include some design courses or other approved electives within the school.
The Master consists of 144 credit points. This incorporates the Graduate Certificate (48 credit points) and the Graduate Diploma (96 credit points). Graduate Certificate and Graduate Diploma exit points are available.
Completion of an Australian Bachelor degree or equivalent with a minimum 65% average. Applicants with significant work experience or professional practice in advertising or a related promotional field, with a minimum of 3 years experience, may also be considered.
You must submit a statement explaining your interest in studying the program and how you feel the program will advance your career. Please provide detail of any previous work experience in the industry and demonstrate your awareness of current global trends in persuasive communication and brand management.
English language requirements:
To study this program you will need to complete one of the following English proficiency tests:
- Academic IELTS (minimum scores) overall band of 6.5 with no individual band below 6.0
- TOEFL (Paper-based): minimum score of 580 (with a Test of Written English (TWE) score of 4.5)
- TOEFL (Internet-based): minimum score of 92 with a minimum of 20 in each section
- Cambridge English (Advanced CAE): CAE Grade B
- Pearson: Minimum score of 58 (no band less than 50).
Last updated January 6, 2016