Master of Advertising
The Master of Advertising provides in-depth analysis of advertising from academic and professional sources throughout the world, focusing on high-powered advertising strategy and process, and exploring wider issues involved in management.
The program prepares you for managing complex advertising campaigns, integrated with other promotional activities including commercial sponsorship, sales promotion, brand, public relations and direct response.
You also cover specific professional areas including branding theory, account management, account planning, strategy planning, media planning and agency management.
Unique aspects of the program include:
- specialist advertising master degree—one of few in the world
- teaching staff have senior-level practical experience in industry, many combining teaching with their ongoing industry careers
- academic staff publish in leading conference and journal forums to ensure research-led teaching
- computer facilities equipped with state-of-the-art media software. Students learn the planning and buying disciplines using these tools.
Note: While all students study creativity in advertising, the Master of Advertising is not targeted specifically for a career in copywriting or art direction. However, students can choose from a number of electives which may include some design courses or other approved electives within the School of Media and Communication.
Please Note: part-time study is not available to international students.
Master: one-and-a-half years full-time or three years part-time. This duration incorporates graduate diploma: one year full-time and graduate certificate: six months full-time.
Graduates are equipped to enter professional and management roles within advertising, promotions, management consultancies, and not-for-profit organisations (business, government and non-profit) which use advertising to achieve their goals.
In addition, graduates will be able to:
- conduct and/or use research, with critical insight into its validity for decision-making
- develop and/or build theories, and understand the process of theory development
- implement changed personal and organisational behaviours in the knowledge of new or changed theories
- create the conditions for more effective and efficient structures within the advertising industry
- respond effectively to changing societal demands on advertising practice.
The Master of Advertising is accredited by the Media Federation of Australian (MFA).
The program has links with the The Communications Council (previously Australian Federation of Advertising), and International Association of Business Communicators (IABC).
Important fees information:
1. Program fees are based upon an annual, standard, full time load and normal progression (unless otherwise stated). Pro rata fees apply to non-standard loads.
2. Program fees are held constant for one calendar year only. RMIT guarantees any increase will not exceed 7.5% per annum in future years.
3. Students are liable for program fee increases at the beginning of each calendar year, regardless of their commencement date.
Once you are enrolled as a student in this program you will need to allow for expenses, other than university tuition fees. Additional expenses may relate to the purchase of lecture notes, textbooks, stationery, consumables such as printer paper, fees levied by commercial internet service providers for internet access outside of the university campus, and other relevant costs.
Teaching consists of a mix of master classes and workshops, online support and interactive project teams using a variety of tools.
Assessment is ongoing throughout the semester and may include examinations, essays/reports, oral class presentations, group projects, research projects, laboratory projects and practical assignments.
Media and Communication
Although RMIT endeavours to ensure the accuracy of this information, there is no guarantee it will remain accurate all year. Applicants are advised to confirm program details with the appropriate school before making an application.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 16, 2016