The MFA program provides advanced study for students pursuing a career in web design and new media. Progress in the MFA degree is measured through a rigorous process, both at the midpoint and final reviews.
Studio courses develop creative and technical acumen, with attention to mastering user experience design, while advanced courses provide a focused learning environment for building final thesis projects. Students will graduate with a portfolio and comprehensive thesis project showcasing their talent.
MFA Web Design & New Media Unit Requirements
- Major 27 units
- Directed Study 18 units
- Graduate Liberal Arts 12 units
- Electives* 6 units
TOTAL 63 units
*Per director approval
MFA Web Design & New Media Degree Requirements
- Successful completion of Final Thesis Project
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Minimum grade of C in all required 63 units
MFA Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
MFA Thesis Project
- Present a clearly defined design project worthy of the MFA degree
- Provide proof of concept demonstrating the feasibility of the project
- Produce a final thesis project demonstrating design thinking, and visual communication and technical skills
- Conduct appropriate market research and apply findings to design decisions
- Demonstrate knowledge of thesis topic and identify resources for content development
- Identify appropriate platform(s) and adapt designs accordingly
- Effectively utilize grid, hierarchy, typography, color, and composition
- Demonstrate interactive design principles as appropriate to the project
Demonstrate an understanding of the technical skills necessary to execute the thesis project.
- Clearly define the target audience demonstrating a consideration of both primary and secondary users
- Develop final testing plan based on initial explorations
- Apply testing results to refine project throughout the design process.
- Effectively articulate and defend ideas and processes
- Demonstrate organizational skills in the thesis proposal and record of thesis project development process
- Develop and demonstrate the skills required for the chosen professional path, as demonstrated in the thesis project, portfolio and personal website
Visit www.academyart.edu to learn more about total costs, median student loan debt, potential occupations and other information. Accredited Member WSCUC, NASAD, CIDA (BFA-IAD, MFA-IAD), NAAB (B.ARCH*, M.ARCH), CTC (California Teacher Credential). Acting degree program is currently not offering online courses. **B.ARCH is currently in candidacy status.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated April 28, 2016