Imagine. Symbolize. Synthesize.
The concept of branding has evolved far beyond company logos and colors. Today, branding incorporates several disciplines, from visual design to sound design; from storytelling to consumer psychology to marketing. Branding is the creation of a rich and attractive environment that grabs the consumer’s attention and brings him or her into the brand’s world to share its values and become an informal sponsor of the brand. It is a voice, a tone, an integrated vision formed by the synergy of research, design, narration, graphics, music, and more.
In the Master in Visual Brand Design, you will gain the skills to identify a company’s core assets. To cultivate a deep understanding of the product and the best way to communicate its values, both in the physical and the social media worlds. To bring it all together into a consistent brand vision, voice, and environment.
The program is designed for candidates with a first-level degree in visual and graphic design, design, communication, marketing, or related disciplines.
During this degree program, students will:
- Demonstrate the ability to create innovative visual branding concepts, scenarios, and solutions for a variety of diverse companies, industries, and organizations.
- Effectively communicate concepts, methods, and design proposals through a variety of techniques, including visual, verbal, and prototyping.
The Master in Visual Brand Design aims to form visual brand designers and dynamic brand managers who are innovative, visionary, versatile, direct, and effective.
The program is workshop-based, supported by seminars, lectures, tutorials, and fieldwork. Industry professionals, the course leader, and project leaders guide students via individual coaching and project mentorship.
The program consists of four main modules, each of which includes a two-week course and six-week workshop. The modules are followed by a two-month internship period and a final portfolio presentation. The modular structure is customizable, allowing flexibility and variety to better serve each student’s needs and goals.
Coursework focuses on:
- Exploring the nature, languages, and values of the contemporary design scene
- Analyzing new aesthetic and behavioral trends in the marketplace
- Gaining hands-on experience with a wide range of visual design techniques
- Investigating methods and tools for research and design
- Exploring the factors that determine the economic performance of a brand or company
- Branding your own work
Guided by industry professionals and faculty project leaders, you will work in cooperation with leading companies on practical projects relating to visual brand design. Some possible workshop topics include the following:
- Use a mix of communication strategies and design tools in order to develop the global brand identity of a small to medium-sized company, a product line, and/or a startup.
- Develop a proposal that combines design approaches in a new, innovative, and surprising way. Your project might involve an established brand, an emerging company, a company that wishes to reposition its business, or a new venture.
- Analyze user activity and social behavior to solve product design problems; use narrative design tools, such as storytelling, storyboards, and video.
- Explore the design process from the point of view of people and their activities in everyday contexts. Learn to decipher people’s needs, expectations, and desires; develop use scenarios; and create and validate solutions.
The final element of the program is the portfolio review. You will present your portfolio of work completed during the year in front of an exam board for evaluation.
There is no better way for you to gain experience in your field than actually working in it. The internship is a chance for you to work onsite for a company or design studio in your field of interest—while applying all the strategies you learned in the classroom and in workshops. Alternatively, you can complete an intensive project in collaboration with a company on the Domus Academy campus. Either way, you’ll get an inside perspective on how your industry really works, and you can make important connections that will further your career.
The internship lasts two months and comes at the end of your year of studies. 100% of our students participate in the internship, including non-EU students, who may extend their visas for up to one year to complete this portion of their studies.
Several prestigious companies and design studios collaborate with the Master in Visual Brand Design program, actively participating in courses, workshops, internships, and international competitions organized by the department. Students have the opportunity to work directly with companies like these in their workshop projects and internships. This direct collaboration facilitates mentorship and gives students access to a wide network of professional connections. Companies and organizations involved in this program include:
Bastard, Danone, Forevermark, Fundación Escultor Berrocal, Glamour, Mondadori, Park Hyatt, Royal Rose, Smartbox, Unieuro.
Upon graduation from Domus Academy, you’ll earn a degree that’s recognized around Europe and the world—an Academic Master’s Degree (60 ECTS credits) accredited by the Italian Ministry of Education, Universities and Research (MIUR)*. You’ll also earn a second valuable qualification: the Domus Academy Master’s Diploma.
Our accreditation has helped Domus Academy build relationships with prestigious companies, so you have the chance to gain practical work experience during your course of study. An accredited degree, plus the practical experience you gain through an internship, shows employers that you received a top-quality education and that you bring industry-relevant knowledge and skills to the table when you join their team.
Our accreditation also means that the relevant academic credits you earn at Domus Academy will transfer to other institutions if you choose to work toward another master’s or a doctoral-level degree.
The Master in Visual Brand Design program relies on the collaboration of a network of visiting professors, designers, and company representatives, coming from various sectors of industry, to lead hands-on workshops and involve students in international initiatives. Career Opportunities
The Master in Visual Brand Design program trains visual brand designers and brand managers to design and manage brand identity for companies in various sectors of industry on both a local and international scale. Graduates may launch their careers in fields such as fashion, design, events, trade shows, services, digital media, or public administration. They may work for the marketing department of any company or for graphic design or advertising agencies. Or they may choose an entrepreneurial path.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 12, 2016