The Department of Information Processing Science at the University of Oulu organizes a two-year full-time Master’s degree programme in Software, Systems and Services Development in the Global Environment (GS3D).
Graduates from GS3D will have the competence to work as Experts and Managers in global ICT companies.
The programme will provide multidisciplinary knowledge of software, systems and services development in a global context.
Graduates will acquire the skills to understand and to analyze the dynamics of the software business environment. Students can progress with their studies to PhD and participate to GS3D research groups.
By completing the Master’s level studies in information processing sciences a student can act as an independent expert in a goal-oriented project and is able to professionally manage such a project.
The student masters typical research methods and can select the most appropriate research and data collection methods for a specific research problem. Students can develop the working methods and practices of their subject area by using a scientific approach and can communicate them clearly and fairly.
After finishing Master's level studies in the GS3D programme a student can also:
- Apply existing and produce new IS and SE knowledge for organisational and software companies’ needs;
- Analyse and evaluate human activities in IT use situations, work practice and organisational functioning using conceptual means, and present the results of the analysis using suitable descriptive methods;
- Analyse and evaluate software solutions and processes from the perspective of software architecture, design patterns, established capability and maturity models;
- Evaluate the impact of the development of information technology to organisational functioning;
- Design IT solutions that solve identified problems and improve the efficiency of organisational practices;
- Design and construct software that satisfies specified functional and quality requirements;
- Act efficiently in global and distributed software projects or open the source community;
- Set targets to self-steer and work towards those goals;
- Communicate clearly and analytically using techniques derived from scientific practice.
- Students can progress with their studies to PhD degree and participate in GS3D research groups.
General Academic Requirements
A successful applicant has obtained their first academic degree, normally a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, from an institution of higher education. As a rule, the Bachelor’s degree is the lower academic degree. This degree should be equivalent of at least three years of full-time studies (180 ECTS).
All applicants are required to prove a high level of proficiency in English language. All programmes ask the applicant to submit documented evidence of their level of English.
Other Admissions Requirements
Applicants are asked to submit documentation on their academic excellence, for example in the form of academic recommendation letters. Also other documents relating to the field of study are required. Contact us for more information.
Programme Specific Academic Requirements
The programme is designed for students with Bachelor level study backgrounds abroad or Finnish universities of Universities of Applied Sciences (AMK). The programme is ideal for applicants who have background in Software Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Science, Information Technology and Computer Engineering or nearby studies.
This school offers programs in: