In partnership with ACCADEMIA TEATRO ALLA SCALA and IL PICCOLO TEATRO DI MILANO
Start date: January 2017
Format: Full Time
Course fee: € 13,500
Teaching language:English and Italian
Required qualification: a Bachelor's degree / or candidates without a formal degree who have a minimum of 3 to 5 years working experience
The Master in Performing Arts Management (MPAM) is a 18th months program designed for students who who wish to pursue a managerial career within the entertainment industry. The program is designed in partnership with ACCADEMIA TEATRO ALLA SCALA and TEATRO PICCOLO DI MILANO.
The aims of the programme are to develop a sense of entrepreneurship, the ability to expand the network in the artistic-cultural sector, acquire the know-how to work in the entertainment industry to be able to understand functions, applications and developments, in order to prepare the students for a career in any area of the business, from production to marketing and distribution.
The Master’s programme is designed to prepare global professionals who can bring a solid cultural and artistic background coupled with economic and managerial skills to the production of stage performances, with a particular focus on Europe, North America and emerging markets.
Centering the development of each individual student, the curriculum features an organically structured set of complementary and interdependent modules and activities.
The introductory coursework, addressing cultural policies, outreach and education, defines the objectives and goals of theatre managers. The course plan continues by providing methods and instruments – auditing, marketing, communication and PR, fundraising, project management, legislative framework – to allow professionals to produce projects that are in line with a given contemporary economic and social context. The course is completed with an internship at an internationally acclaimed performance institute.
The Five Key Words
OSMOSIS: "economy" and "culture" are two perfectly complementary materials, when it comes to performing arts. The main objective of the Master is to forge professionals with strong skills in both areas.
UNIQUENESS: the Academy has developed a teaching method of the highest level. Students are offered the only opportunity to live to 360 ° the dynamics of the Teatro alla Scala, learning directly from the professionals who work there.
GLOBAL NETWORK: collaboration between the Academy, MIP Politecnico di Milano Graduate School of Business and the Piccolo Teatro di Milano puts students in an international network of contacts with theaters, festivals and show institutions. The Master also allows you to analyze all aspects of the show live through testimonials, seminars, meetings and many other dynamics. The teaching staff includes professionals from Opera Europa, Metropolitan Opera House, Royal Opera House Covent Garden, English National Opera, Opera de Rennes, Berliner Philharmoniker, Hong Kong Arts Festival, DeVos Institute and WolfBrown.
LEARNING BY DOING: the teaching approach helps to have a direct contact with the world of work. The pride of the Master is the internship, which takes place at the most important Italian and foreign institutions operating in the sector.
TUTORING: the staff of Master ensures a constant support to the students, especially in view of the comparison with the way of work.
- Cultural policies, educational activities and outreach
- Theaters and festivals as models
- Economic sustainability and management accounting
- Human resources and organization
- Marketing for the show
- Field project (Piccolo Teatro)
- Fundraising for the live show
- Management and innovation for the show
- Emerging markets analysis
- Arts and crafts of the show
- Bibliographic tools for musical projects (workshop)
- Management and security of supply
- To acquire a global vision of the international cultural sector, with a special focus on European, North American and emerging markets;
- To recognize the relevance of public cultural policies at the local and international level and the social impact of the performing arts;
- To understand the economics, regulation and organization of the performing arts industry;
- To study the impact of new technologies on the performing arts;
- To learn how to use marketing, project management and fundraising tools;
- To live the uniqueness of Italian cultural traditions and the extraordinary experience of the city of Milan;
- To learn by doing with field projects and internships at acclaimed Italian and international institutions.
- Candidates with a B.A. or equivalent who wish to pursue a career in the performing arts or cultural sector;
- Candidates with formal music, arts, or dance education who wish to acquire general knowledge of international cultural policies and develop their management and organizational skills;
- Candidates without a formal degree who have a minimum of 3 to 5 years working experience in any field and wish to pursue a career change. General knowledge of the nonprofit sector would be advantageous.
How to Apply
Enrolment in the Master’s in Performing Arts Management takes place once a year with courses beginning every January.
Candidates must submit their applications by the deadlines indicated below to be admitted to the course beginning the following January.
EU citizens: November 30
Non-EU citizens: October 30
Please fill out the application form and send the following documentation to your school contact:
- Copy of passport or European ID
- University transcript or equivalent
- English certificate (if available)
- Proof of payment of the admission fee (€80)
Once your admission form has been validated, one of the program directors will interview you via Skype. Applicants who are able to come to Milan may be interviewed in person at Accademia Teatro alla Scala.
Gianluca Spina Association offers a scholarship worth EUR 13,000 (gross) is offered to one 2017/18 MPAM candidate.
The scholarship is named after Gianluca Spina who was the Dean of MIP Graduate School of Business and Full Professor in Business Management and Supply Chain Management at the Department of Management, Economics and Industrial Engineering of Politecnico di Milano.
Candidates are chosen by a selection Committee representing both the Program Direction and the Association.
For more information about the master’s program, scholarships and other means for financing your studies please contact:
Gaia Uccheddu: firstname.lastname@example.org
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 26, 2016