Master in Music
Anyone who holds a degree Academic Bachelor in music, as provided by the Flemish Government (Vlaamse Gemeenschap), can subscribe for the entrance exam.
- Holding a French Belgian degree Academic Bachelor in music: you have to meet the language requirements.
- Holding any foreign degree Academic Bachelor in music: get an application form before March 31st. When you meet these language requirements and after your file has been approved you can subscribe for the entrance exam.
- an attestation of secondary or higher education, at least 1 year with English as the main language of instruction; or
- a TOEFL Certificate, not older than 2 years, with a minimum score of 550 (paper based), 213(computer) or 79 (internet), the institution code is 4370; or
- an original ‘test report form’ (TRF) of IELTS, obtained within 2 years form application date, with a minimum score of 5.5; or
- a certificate of the “Test Engels” obtained at the language centre of Ghent University.
Performing Music, Classical Music
The focus of this programme is the music practice and the development of a creative personality. The music practice includes individual instruction, small ensembles and orchestra. A versatile music theoretical training and general educational subjects are the foundation for deepening the artistic and scientific skills. Each discipline explores issues such as audition practice for orchestral instruments, accompaniment for pianists or music theatrical education. Presentations, concerts inside and outside the walls of the Conservatory strengthen stage experience. The Conservatory encourages in particular the interest in contemporary music and the synergy between the different genres and art forms.
Performing Music, Jazz/Pop
The key element of playing and singing Jazz and Pop Music is improvising. You will be able to develop your improvising skills (composing and soloing) during individual courses and by playing together with other students in various combo and big band formation.
The individual coaching deals with the technical aspects and interpretation of different styles. We offer traditional instrument classes such as guitar, piano, voice, drums, trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet and bass (acoustic and electric) and also less current instruments such as jazz violin and accordion.
Even though you will be introduced in Jazz, you can also specialize in all kinds of genres and styles of contemporary music. Students play in larger ensembles settings (like big band) and in smaller ensembles such as jazz combo, pop combo, close harmony and rhythm section units.
With these combos, students are regularly performing in the school and at venues through Flanders and they are recorded at the School’s Studio.
The program has turned out a number of fine musicians who have made their marks on the Flemish and international Jazz and Pop scene.
Composing Music, Composition
The major degree in Creative Music, Composition, aims primarily to help students to express themselves musically through a pre-recorded musical thought. The organized ‘learn to think in sounds’ is the most important objective. There are several possible current compositional styles, from avant-garde or experimental electronic music too more traditional composing styles. Your compositions can be performed during concerts by fellow students.
Composing Music, Music Production
In this programme we aim at developing the competences students need in order to realize a studio and live music production of a distinctive artistic and technical quality, which shows your personal creative input. At the same time students will be offered a broad musical education and training in the many different tasks that come with the job
This school offers programs in: