The MFA program provides advanced training in music and sound design. Students are guided through the completion of a final thesis project that reflects their breadth of music and audio expertise.
MFA Music Production & Sound Design for Visual Media Unit Requirements
- Major 27 units
- Directed Study 18 units
- Graduate Liberal Arts 12 units
- Electives* 6 units
TOTAL 63 units
*Per director approval
MFA Music Production & Sound Design for Visual Media Degree Requirements
- Successful completion of Final Thesis Project
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Minimum grade of C in all required 63 units
MFA Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
MFA Thesis Project
Students will conceive and complete an original MFA thesis which represents an advanced level of achievement in the field of music creation or sound design for visual media.
- Advanced understanding of the language of music: harmony, melody, and rhythm.
- Orchestrate and arrange music at a professional level
- Write or edit music for different visual environments (such as film, television, animation, games, multimedia, and commercials) at a professional level
Soundtrack for Visual Media
Create music or sound which supports or heightens the emotional impacts of visual images (or visual material).
Production Skills and Technical Knowledge
Demonstrate expert-level proficiency with software related to contemporary music production techniques.
Think critically and demonstrate flexibility in creating or editing music for client needs. Collaborate effectively with a creative team on a given project, such as a film, television show, animation, game, multimedia project, or commercial.
Visit www.academyart.edu to learn more about total costs, median student loan debt, potential occupations and other information. Accredited Member WSCUC, NASAD, CIDA (BFA-IAD, MFA-IAD), NAAB (B.ARCH*, M.ARCH), CTC (California Teacher Credential). Acting degree program is currently not offering online courses. **B.ARCH is currently in candidacy status.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 27, 2016