The Master in Informatics Engineering is a two-year degree with 120 ECTS. The curriculum includes an organized set of curricular units corresponding to 66 ECTS plus a dissertation corresponding to 54 ECTS. The curricular units include both mandatory and optional units. The optional curricular units can be offered in thematic groups (e.g., the thematic group on Intelligent and Information Systems or the thematic group on Networking). Two curricular units, corresponding to 12 out of 66 ECTS pertain to soft-skills.
Registered in DGES with the number R/B-AD-783/2007
The main objective of the Master is to complement the sound and wide technical and scientific background acquired during a 3 year 1st cycle degree in Informatics Engineering, or equivalent, with advanced studies in market relevant areas of Informatics, as well as other transversal areas.
This MSc degree promotes the development of several competencies, namely: to develop the students capacities for keeping up with the knowledge and technological evolution throughout their professional life; to develop creative and critical skills, and to foster the needs of experimentation, hypothesis formulation and bibliographic search; to develop professional skills such as teamwork and leadership capacities, oral and writing communication; to enable a seamless integration in companies and organizations, by introducing topics such as economical aspects in engineering, project management, companies organization and entrepreneurship; analysis, design and development of information systems; relevant programming languages and paradigms; management of information systems; advanced techniques for problem-solving; advanced topics on security; management of software projects; intelligent systems for complex problem-solving; design and management of computer networks; data mining.
The candidate to the Master degree of Informatics Engineering fulfils one of the following criteria:
- Hold a graduate degree from a Portuguese University in Engineering or related;
- Hold a graduate degree in Engineering, or related, from an European University adherent to the Bologna principles;
- Hold a foreign degree recognized as a suitable graduate degree by the Scientific Council of the Faculty of Science and Technology of the Universidade do Algarve;
- Hold a professional or scientific curriculum vitae recognized by the Scientific Council of the Faculty of Science and Technology of the Universidade do Algarve as able to successfully conclude the objectives of the Master.
Candidates whose curriculum vitae do not demonstrate the required background in Informatics are required to successfully follow a personal curricular access plan prior to commencement of studies.
It’s hard to enumerate all the career opportunities for a Master in Informatics Engineering from the University of Algarve. For illustrative purposes only some of these are listed below:
- Software architect;
- Consultant in Informatics and Security;
- Director of Informatics in public and private companies;
- Informatics, System, or Knowledge Engineer;
- Researcher in Computer Sciences.