BEE, officially called Master’s Degree Programme (BCBU) in Environmental Engineering, is a two-year Master's degree programme (MDP) of 120 ECTS, based on environmental, process and civil engineering subjects. The BEE syllabus is multi-disciplinary, including studies on sustainable technologies, research methodology, clean production methods, water and environmental issues, environmental engineering, process engineering, etc. BEE is organized by the Faculty of Technology, University of Oulu, Finland.
The programme also contains studies on northern regions as an example of areas rich in natural resources of high economic value in an ecologically sensitive nature. Utilization of such resources requires both more environmentally friendly processes in industry and innovative measures in environmental protection and restoration. These are the needs the BEE programme answers to by educating environmental engineers with skills to solve the environmental problems and challenges both globally and locally. The students can specialize either to 'Clean Production' or 'Water and Environment' study options (majors).
The graduating BEE students will be awarded a degree of Master of Science in Technology, in the area of Environmental Engineering, by the University of Oulu. The BEE MPD graduates will have scientific approach into environmental protection and management of natural resources, and knowhow for scientific and applied work both in industry and academia. BEE graduates will enter job markets as experts in environmental engineering with perspective in and skills to understanding international contexts of environmental issues. The graduates can work in different environment related business sectors, in local and regional public administration, as well as environmental authorities or research institutes, not only within the region, but also in international tasks.
General Academic Requirements
A successful applicant has obtained their first academic degree, normally a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, from an institution of higher education. As a rule, the Bachelor’s degree is the lower academic degree. This degree should be equivalent of at least three years of full-time studies (180 ECTS).
All applicants are required to prove a high level of proficiency in English language. All programmes ask the applicant to submit documented evidence of their level of English.
Other Admissions Requirements
Applicants are asked to submit documentation on their academic excellence, for example in the form of academic recommendation letters. Also other documents relating to the field of study are required. Contact us for more information.
Programme Specific Academic Requirements
For the admissions 2014: A successful applicant must fulfill all of the next programme specific criteria (for language skills, background degree, previous studies) to be eligible to apply to the BEE MDP and its two majors (study options Clean Production or Water and Environment):
- The applicant must qualify for the General Academic Requirements and Language Requirements set by the University of Oulu;
- The applicant must have [or soon will have, see (*) below], a Bachelor’s degree (lower academic degree or equivalent, of at least three years of full-time studies = 180 ECTS) with excellent grades from an institution of higher education.
- To apply to BEE, this Bachelor's degree must EITHER be in ENGINEERING (e.g. in environmental, process, chemical, or civil engineering), OR in NATURAL SCIENCES applicable for later engineering studies (e.g. environmental sciences, chemistry, geology, or physics etc.); and
- Within the before-mentioned degree, the applicant has studied, and got good or excellent grades, in mathematical sciences (math studies are an absolute and compulsory requirement, but also chemistry and/or physics are noted);
- Further, it is viewed as a benefit, if he/she has also performed studies in one or more areas of process engineering (process, chemical or civil engineering studies).
[ (*) Also students who are on their last term/semester of Bachelor’s studies can apply to study for a BEE Master’s degree, but they have to complete their degree before they can finally be accepted: In the case that the applicant is accepted for study in the BEE MDP, the applicant has to submit officially certified copies of his/her Bachelor’s degree certificate and the final transcript of records during summer 2014.]
This school offers programs in: