The Master's degree in Economics is offered for individuals who want to strengthen their knowledge in economics and broaden it in the field of development economics.
The goal of the Master's degree in Economics is to supply its graduates with a sound foundation in economic theory and its applications, which will enable them to apply their knowledge correctly in their professional careers.
Prospective applicants to this program are professionals who have a previous background in economics at the Bachelor's level*. This program is ideal for aspiring applicants who currently have or will attain job responsibilities that require the application of economic concepts for creating and presenting proposals, assessing various projects, and designing programs in both the public sector and the private sector. These candidates are aware of the need to acquire specific additional skills that will assist them currently, as well as in future endeavors, in accomplishing their projects efficiently utilizing the best methods and techniques available.
*Intermediate Microeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics, Statistics, Econometrics (Linear Model), Mathematics (Calculus and Linear Algebra).
Profile of the Graduate
Graduates from this program will have the required skills to start their professional career or to reintegrate into the professional field with up-to-date knowledge on development economics. They will acquire the necessary skills to apply their new knowledge and the confidence needed to take risks in their increasingly complex working environment. The graduates will be able to apply their newly updated skills to understand, estimate, interrelate, and to evaluate the behavior of the Mexican and the Global economy.
Structure of the Program
The Master's in Economics is a full-time, one-and-a-half-year program.
The courses are given on a semestral basis, the first one starting on January and each of them lasting 18 weeks. Five courses are taken each semester.
Requirements for Applicants
To be eligible as a candidate for the Master's in Economics program, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- A degree in Economics or in a related field.
- A minimum average of 8.0 in your Bachelor's degree.
- Either of the following:
- Successfully pass ITAM's admission exam, which can be taken at our premises in Mexico City (calendar) or on line.
- Complete the admission process.
Requirements for Foreign Applicants
- Application completely filled out.
- Three color photographs (color or black and white).
- Original and photocopy of your birth certificate certified by the Mexican Consulate and by the "Secretaria de Gobernación". If necessary, a translation of the document by a certified translator will be required.
- A photocopy of the document approved by the "Secretaria de Gobernación" indicating your visa status in Mexico.