Master in Current Democracies: Nationalism, Federalism and Multiculturalism
Linguistic, national, ethnic, religious and cultural diversity is a consolidated reality in the world of modern democracies and is a trend of growing importance. The first decades of the century are a testimony of a process of political, economic and technological change with global and irreversible characteristics that raises both challenges and opportunities for modern liberal democracies.
The main objective of this programme is to prepare high-level academicians and professionals in the area of political theory, with the capacity of becoming specialists who can compete successfully in international academic and professional sphere. To achieve this, an advanced level of knowledge has to be attained, with special emphasis on the handling of methods and techniques with which to analyse the practical transformation of current societies and influence them. The master's degree therefore seeks to develop generic competences that will enhance the holder's professional activity in relation to their capacity of analysis, synthesis and communication; the capacity of adapting to new situations and the creation of new knowledge; interpersonal relationship skills in an international context; and ethical responsibility.
From the outset the intention has been for the programme to be completely consistent with the values and basic principles of respect for democratic rights, equal opportunities, promotion and safeguarding of peace, general equality and accessibility to persons with disabilities.
Who is it for?
This master is aimed at holders of a degree in the field of Political Sciences, Social and Legal Sciences, Humanities and Health Sciences, and who wish to make a start in academic research in the discipline of political theory, with the aim of going on to study a doctorate or to deepen their knowledge in this field.
- Module 1: Methodology and Research Techniques (15 ECTS).
- Module 2: Fundamentals of Theory and Political Science (10 ECTS).
- Module 3: Deepening in some areas of Theory and Political Science (15 ECTS).
- Module 4: Final Research Project (20 ECTS).
Skills acquired in this programme
On completing it, the student will be capable of:
- Understanding the main theories and approaches of political theory.
- Understanding the institutions and processes of democratic and federal political systems.
- Understanding the structure and processes of the political players in different societies.
- Understanding the value and concepts of the legitimating processes in culturally diverse democracies.
- Recognizing and understanding the theories of democracy, federalism, and nationalism.
- Defining and understanding the historic dimension of multiculturalism in modern democracies.
- Operating with theoretical, quantitative, qualitative and comparative research data.
Expert political analysts on theoretical, practical and compared analysis of institutions, processes and public policies in culturally diverse democracies.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 1, 2016