Master in Counselling
The Master in Counselling Programme (MCounselling) is for those who intend to practice as professional counsellors in schools and other organisations. The programme provides an advanced level of knowledge about major approaches to counselling, provides training in counselling practice and develops skills for application in the workplace. The programme will be conducted in English Language.
- It is a specialisation programme which lead to a professional counselor status
- Apart from serving teachers and administrators, Master of Counseling can attract people from a variety of professions such as human resources, health, social welfare, administration and business
- This programme can also provide opportunity for candidates who have already completed Postgraduate Diploma in Counseling from Universiti Brunei Darussalam or its equivalent to continue their professional training at the masters’ level
- Practical experience in schools or any organisations (practicum) throughout the programme with not less than 84 hours of practicum for each semester
- Research exercise (eg. school-based) aims to improve counseling services
- 1 year Full-time for candidates with a Post-Graduate Diploma in Counseling or its equivalent (commencing in January)
- 1 ½ years Full-time for candidates without a Post-Graduate Diploma in Counseling or its equivalent (commencing in August).
- 2 years Part-time (commencing in January and August).
Typical Entry Requirements
- A good honours degree (at least second class lower) or equivalent from a recognised university.
- Evidence of English proficiency at the level of at least an IELTS score of 6.0 or a TOEFL score of 550 or a credit in the GCE ‘O’ level English Language.
- Applicants are advised to write a short research proposal.
- Successful performance in an interview and any test required.
1) January intake is for those WITH Diploma in Counselling (or equivalent). Duration : 12 months (as they are exempted from doing the 1st semester). Offered in ENGLISH ONLY (both part time & full time)
2) August intake is for THOSE WITHOUT Diploma in Counselling. Duration : 18 months ie. 3 semesters). Offered in ENGLISH ONLY (both part time & full time)
UBD has opened its door to international students since its early beginning. Early on, ASEAN students make up most of the international students of UBD. The diversity expanded today with more coming in from East Asia (China and Japan), Europe, Africa and the Mid-East.
English is the main medium of instruction at UBD and widely spoken in Brunei Darussalam. The degrees offered therefore, provide opportunities for International Students to access to future employments globally. This environment also provides international students the avenue to learn English throughout their study and daily life, making it easier for them to make friends and socialize.
UBD is so close to the city centre, and Brunei main attraction sites. UBD is adjacent to the Tungku Beach; that many of its buildings, in particular the student accommodation - The Core, and the University Technology Hub, overlook the beautiful South China Sea.
UBD is such a friendly environment and international students will feel at home with the array of clubs and things to do. There are also a variety of programmes to ensure new students to transition into UBD through The International Student Service Unit of Student Affairs Section.
This school offers programs in: