Master in Chemical Technology and Biotechnology
The necessity of training professionals at the Faculty of Biomedicine and Ecology of ULIM within the program Industrial Drug’s Technology, Master degree is determined by the deficiency of specialists in this field. The training is performed according to the Bologna process principles. Development of formulations of industrial pharmaceutical forms and their application in pharmaceutical practice needs initiative and responsibility. It is necessary to train masters with their striving to self improvement. A special attention should be given to the subjects, which envisage the study of the technology of medicaments production, their thorough qualitative and quantitative control, compatibility and incompatibility of ingredients in pharmaceutical forms, control of stability, storage conditions, efficiency and elaboration of normative technical documentation and other standards, which define the highest quality of the end product.
The program of studies represents an individual form of professional training with full-time attendance during 2 years for the graduates of the Licentiate cycles for the specialties 551.3 Pharmaceutical Technology and 551.2 Technology of Cosmetical and Medicinal Products. For the graduates of other specialties (Chemical Technology, Chemistry, etc.) the period of the Master’s program includes a compensatory semester with the total duration of 2.5 years. Advanced theoretical knowledge and practical experience will be gained through learning of fundamental subjects (Industrial Technology of Drugs, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Physical and Colloid Chemistry, etc.) and special subjects (Tissue Preparations, Blood Preparations, Technology of Drugs, etc.). In the semester III a practical training course is envisaged during 10 weeks, and in semester IV- implementation and public defense of the Master Thesis, which is evaluated as 30 credits. In general during the 2 years Masters accomplish 18 exams and accumulate 120 credits. At the end of the course the graduates obtain the title of Master in Chemical Technology and Biotechnology.
Aim and mission of the training program:
To make more profound the level of fundamental professional training – both theoretical and applied – by mastering special courses related to the respective field of the professional activity. The gained knowledge will influence the elaboration of the up-to-date professional thinking. The professional should be able to find adequate decisions to resolve specific technological problems (situations), to possess the necessary skills in organization and coordination of the activity within a group of workers (production unit).
Professional profile of graduates:
The graduates with Master diplomas in Chemical Technology and Biotechnology are in demand within the labor market; they may work as pharmacy technicians in pharmaceutical industry and mini-laboratories with section of extempore products, chemist-analyst in the laboratories of the quality control of pharmaceutical forms, manager-technologist in the field of pharmaceutical marketing and management, etc.
Methods of teaching/training:
- interactive discussions,
- public lectures of specialists in the field of industrial technology of drugs.
Final learning objectives
At the end of this training program the master graduate will be able to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and competence:
- Up-to-date terminology in the field of industrial technologies.
- Control of quality and ways for improvements of pharmaceutical forms
- Pharmaceutical management and marketing.
- A correct preparation of technological documentation.
- An adequate interpretation of the laboratory experiments.
- Ability to propose and implement new strategies of utilization of praxeologic competence in the adequate professional medium : pharmaceutical and legal institutions, cosmetic production, medical centers.
- To organize the activity of production units for elaboration and implementation of financial plans and production of drugs and be responsible for the taken decisions.
- To take measures for the increasing of the economic efficiency in the pharmaceutical industry.
- To ensure implementation of the managerial innovative solutions using the knowledge gained in the field of industrial technologies.
This school offers programs in: