Master’s Degree in Business and Management
Welcome to the MA in Business and Management with specialist pathways in Marketing and Creating and Developing Your Business. This exciting new programme is specifically designed to help you to develop your knowledge and understanding of business and management and be able to implement this effectively across a wide range of complex business - based scenarios.
You will engage in the advanced study of a diverse range of organisations and the rapidly changing environments in which they operate both nationally and internationally. You will enhance both your academic research skills and the practical management skills that you will need in order to manage human resources, complex organisational systems and the challenging issues affecting business in a rigorous, pragmatic and effective manner.
Course Structure and Content
The Master’s degree is offered in a modular format offering participants the greatest choice in tailoring their final degree content to match their academic interest and future career development.
Participants take a mix of taught modules in the first two trimesters (120 credits) and complete a dissertation/research project (15,000-20,000 words) in the third trimester (60 credits). To achieve the MA you will need to complete 180 credits in total.
MA Business and Management: For those whose previous undergraduate study has been in an unrelated discipline, the programme will provide you with the skills and knowledge that you will need to gain a broad understanding of the complexities associated within modern day organisations and their effective management. It will prepare you to feel confident and assured in your own capacity to analyse complex issues and situations and to be able to manage yourself and the organisation through them in a positive and effective manner.
MA Business and Management (Marketing): If you are preparing yourself for the skills and understanding that you will need to enter self-employment or to create and develop your own business idea the specialist pathway (Creating and Developing your Business) will provide a framework around which you can make this a practical reality.
MA Business and Management (Creating and Developing Your Business): Alternatively, you might be seeking to deepen current knowledge and understanding of business and management from the marketing perspective. The specialist pathway in Marketing will enable you to achieve this.
Teaching Methods and Resources
By the time you complete the programme, you will be able to:
- Understand the major business functions - understanding markets, developing plans, understanding and improving delivery, managing relationships with people, managing finance, technology and other resources;
- Develop skills and techniques - in gathering, analysing and evaluating information, planning, applying concepts and models to the solution of problems, evaluating risk, making decisions, communicating, working in teams, thinking effectively and in flexibly managing your own work and that of others;
- Evaluate and challenge both the positive and negative effects of a range of business and management practices and be able to make judgements about their value and implications;
- Apply your learning in a variety of business contexts ranging from the experience of large multinational organisations to sole party ownership; through different industry and sector specific experience; and through analysis of enterprise at different stages of development - self-employment, start-up and small business
Your tutors offer you access to a wide range of academic and practical expertise in business and management. Many of them maintain deep practical experience gained in business and management engagement across the commercial, public and the non-profit sectors. Our tutors are committed to delivering the highest quality teaching and learning and the application of that learning to deliver effective practice in the workplace.
A variety of assessment methods are utilised, including:
- Individual report
- Individual presentation
- Group project work
- Group presentation
Assignments are designed to integrate theoretical concepts with practical application.
This programme is designed to prepare participants for a wide range of careers in general management across all industry sectors. It will prepare you for entry level into management and ready you for progression to middle management positions. The advanced learning that it provides delivers practical management based skills and techniques that are directly applicable to a wide range of occupations.
Study within the specialist pathways allows for further concentration of skills and techniques in marketing and in business start-up and small and medium size business management. The content of the programme is also directly applicable those participants who wish to work in a self-employed capacity in the creative and performing arts sectors.
Applications from a variety of backgrounds are welcomed. Normally a good honours degree in any academic discipline or a relevant professional qualification. Applicants who do not meet the academic entry standard, but who have relevant work experience, will be considered on their individual merits by the Course Director. Previous experience and learning can be taken into consideration.
- MA Business and Management
- MA Business and Management (Marketing)
- MA Business and Management (Creating & Developing Your Business)
- PGDip Business and Management
- PGDip Business and Management (Marketing)
- PGDip Business and Management (Creating & Developing Your Business).
- Flexible modular structure provides maximum choice and tailoring of the degree to support your career progression
- Provides thorough grounding in the principles and practice of business and management
- Strong focus on marketing, enterprise and developing a business
- Directly relevant for those whose previous undergraduate study has been in an unrelated discipline, for continuing learners with practical experience and for those preparing for self-employment or employment in the creative and performing arts.