Drawing on your life experiences, coupled with the artistic and technical skills you gain, you’ll be prepared for a career as an art director, copywriter, or creative strategist. A mastery of advanced advertising principles and concepts are brought to life by working independently and collaboratively on your unique portfolio.
MFA Advertising Unit Requirements
- Major 27 units
- Directed Study 18 units
- Graduate Liberal Arts 12 units
- Electives* 6 units
TOTAL 63 units
*Per director approval
MFA Advertising Degree Requirements
- Successful completion of Final Thesis Project
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Minimum grade of C in all required 63 units
MFA Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
- Develop strategic elements focused on the target customer, the product/service, and the market
- Gather, assess, and apply relevant information, including historical research, to strategic work
Use appropriate visual media, including freehand drawing, to convey essential elements Apply appropriate design principles to strategic and creative work
- Convey creative ideas, concepts, and brand tone through engaging and sophisticated language at each stage of the creative process
- Communicate verbally and in writing with a unique and versatile voice
- Communicate relevant objectives through the use of appealing aesthetic choices
- Think conceptually and execute projects beyond traditional advertising media
- Consider diverse points of view, and reach well-reasoned conclusions as part of the conceptual and design process
- Present a sophisticated and original portfolio to acquire a job within the industry.
- Articulate career goals and plan to achieve them
- Communicate strategic conceptual and artistic goals at a professional level
- Submit work according to professional presentation standards
- Collaborate with other members of a creative team
Specialty Skills: Creative Strategy
- Analyze social and cultural trends to identify patterns and potential implications
- Evaluate a brand’s position from multiple perspectives
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.
Visit www.academyart.edu to learn more about total costs, median student loan debt, potential occupations and other information. Accredited Member WSCUC, NASAD, CIDA (BFA-IAD, MFA-IAD), NAAB (B.ARCH*, M.ARCH), CTC (California Teacher Credential). Acting degree program is currently not offering online courses. **B.ARCH is currently in candidacy status.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 16, 2016