Master in Advanced Computing
The Tsinghua University Computer Science (CS) Program is ranked among the top in China. With growing international reputation for excellence in education and research, coupled with the strong CS industry in Shenzhen, we offer this master's program in Advanced Computing at the Graduate School at Shenzhen.
In this program, we offer a broad and innovative course curriculum focusing on both cutting-edge advances in CS and Chinese practices. This program aims to foster CS professionals who have comprehensive computer skills, excellent academic merits and great global perspectives. We welcome applicants from all over the world who have a Bachelor's degree in CS or related areas. The program is designed to be completed in two years of full-time study, including the completion of the course study (Beijing Campus), research and industry practice (Shenzhen Campus), and a master thesis.
Students are required to complete a minimum of 24 credits from the following (about 10 courses) courses, which are offered at Beijing Campus.
1) Compulsory Courses (13 credits, S-Spring, F-Fall)
• Chinese Language (2 credits- F)
• Chinese Culture and Society (2 credits- F)
• Academic Activities (1 credit)
• Literature Survey and Thesis Proposal(1 credit)
• Combinatorics and Algorithms Design (4 credits- F)
• Object-Oriented Software Development Technology (3 credits- F) (Alternatively)
• Software development: from object-oriented to service-oriented(3 credits- F) (Alternatively)
2) Elective Courses (no fewer than 11 credits, S-Spring, F-Fall)
• Web Information Retrieval (3 credits- S)
• Future Internet (3 credits- S)
• Database Technologies (3 credits- S)
• Human Computer Interaction Technology (3 credits- S)
• Fundamentals of Computer Graphics (3 credits-S) (Alternatively)
• Topics in Advanced Multimedia Technologies (3 credits- F) (Alternatively)
• Process and Methods of Software Project Management (3 credits-F)
• Architecture and System Software for Multi-core Processors (3 credits-F)
• Machine Learning (3 credits-F)
Other graduate-level courses offered by the department may be selected under the supervisor's approval.
Students are required to conduct an independent research project.
A written master's thesis research proposal and a formal presentation are required in the second term.
Students are required to submit a thesis in English.
A final oral defense is also required.
Qualification of Applicants
Applicant should have a Bachelor's degree in CS or related areas.
1) The completed Foreigner's Application Form for Admission to Graduate Programs of Tsinghua University with 2-inch recent photo, signed by the applicant.
2) Personal Statement
3) The original or the notarized degree certificate or proof of education in academic institution (need to submit original or notarized degree certificate after being awarded), and academic transcript. The degree certificate and academic transcript must be
4) Two academic recommendation letters from scholars of associate professorship rank or higher (must show referee's phone number and email address on the letter).
5) Copy of the personal information page from the passport (personal and ordinary passport)
6) The completed Application Form for Tsinghua University Scholarship (if applicable, original)
7) The application fee is RMB 600 (non-refundable).
8) The certificates provided should be the original documents in Chinese or in English; otherwise, notarized translations in Chinese or English are required. None of the above application documents will be returned.
Step 1: Online Application
Complete Online Application on the website of Foreign Student Affairs Office, Tsinghua University. Print and sign the Application Form produced by the system after the application status changes to "verified". For scholarship application documents, please refer section "Tuition and Scholarship" below.
Step 2: Documents Submission
Submit the application documents listed above to the address indicated below by post mail or in person.
Step 3: Application Fee Payment
Two ways to pay application fee:
1) Pay online using credit card;
After your online application form is verified or the materials are received by Tsinghua University, the staff will make you the online payment draft, and at the same time, an email will be automatically sent out to remind you to pay the application fee via the online application system.
2) Pay in cash at the Foreign Student Affairs Office (Room 120,Zijing Building 22)of Tsinghua University.
November 1, 2012 -- February 29, 2013
Both the Online Application and a complete set of Application documents should be completed and the package should be received by February 28, 2013.
Please note that for the Government or University scholarship applicants, online application and all the application documents should be submitted before December 31, 2012.
Inquiry and Admission Notice
Admission Notice, Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW202/JW201), and Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners will be issued after admitted. Prior to this, the applicants may check admission status via the On-line Application System on the website of Foreign Student Affairs Office.
Visa Application and Enrolment
The admitted students should bring their personal and ordinary passport, Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW202/ JW201), and original Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners as well as other original documents of physical examination to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X visa). Students shall come to Foreign Student Affairs Office, Tsinghua University for registration during the dates indicated on the Admission Notice. Students must use personal and ordinary passport and X visa, and must apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days after arrival in China.
Tuition Fee and Scholarships
Tuition fee: RMB 39,000/year.
Accidental Injury and Hospitalization Insurance: RMB600/year.
The qualified applicants are encouraged to apply for Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS). Applicants should apply to China Scholarship Council (CSC) through the Chinese Embassies or Consulates, or relevant organizations in the home countries of the applicants between November and April (varied for different countries). Please find out the application deadline for your country in advance.
The applicants may also apply for Chinese Government Scholarship with the recommendations from Tsinghua University. But the number of the recommended applicants is very limited, and the applicants should be excellent among those who are not studying in China. For application of this scholarship, please complete and submit the Application Form for Tsinghua University Scholarship along with other application documents.
In addition to Chinese Government Scholarship, the applicants may choose to apply for Beijing Government Scholarship / Tsinghua University Scholarship, which supports full or partial tuition. For application of this scholarship, please complete and submit the Application Form for Tsinghua University Scholarship along with other application documents.
Students who will study in Graduate School at Shenzhen, Tsinghua University (GSST) may be eligible for GSST Scholarships.