The TESOL program looks to enhance students' understanding of both English and non-English-Speaking cultures through various modes of interpretation and expression. The program also gives students the opportunity to examine their own language and culture through interaction with students from other culture. Our program is design to prepare TESOL specialists for the elementary, secondary, or college levels.
Each applicant needs a minimum of 500 points on the TOEFL (PBT) in order in to enroll in this program. Also, a student with an acceptable TEPS score may enroll in this program. The TEPS may be taken by a student at MIU. Admission to M.A. program contingent on pre-existing fluency in English (no conversation/ composition course).
Degree Requirements & Credits
The master's degree program requires:
- 2 years
- 30 credit hours
- 24 credit hours + practicum + thesis
Course - Credit
- Theory and Method in Second Language Training: 3
- Teaching Oral Skills in ESL/EFL and English Phonology: 3
- Materials Use and Developmen: 3
- History of English: 3
- Second Language Acquisition Theory: 3
- Language & Culture: 3
- Second Language Research: 3
- Seminar: Current Issues in Language Teaching: 3