Master Program - Finance
The Finance Program provides strong training in the tools of financial economics sought by financial institutions, companies and public organizations. It combines a rigorous academic core with tailored practical application, designed in consultation with leading financial experts. Former students are employed at top investment banks, financial consultancies, and government finance ministries. Many have gone on to pursue doctoral research in financial economics at prestigious EU and US universities.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will receive a Master Degree in Economics and Finance awarded with the Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
Skills acquired in this master program
- Thorough understanding of the theory and practice of price formation in financial markets, with applications to equity valuation as well as to the determination of the term structure of interest rates and contingent claim pricing
- Ability to analyze the problems of managing banks and other financial institutions using Economic Theory
- Ability to price and hedge derivatives and complex financial instruments in a dynamic setting applying the tools of Mathematical Finance
- Ability to apply Econometric Analysis to implement asset pricing models and to measure and manage financial risks
- Ability to analyze Corporate Finance problems.
Who will benefit from this program
- Graduates in Business or Economics with a strong interest in Quantitative Finance or Banking
- Graduates in Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, or Engineering who want to pursue a career in Quantitative Finance or Banking
- Researchers and policy makers at Central Banks or Supervisory Authorities
- Aspiring PhD students looking for a rigorous Finance master program.
Who hires graduates of this program
- Asset management firms
- Risk Management and Finance Departments of both financial and non-financial firms
- Financial consulting firms
- Central banks
Many students use the Finance program as preparation for entry into competitive PhD programs. Some of them join the Barcelona GSE's reference doctoral programs (GPEFM at Universitat Pompeu Fabra and IDEA at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona). Others enter top programs elsewhere in Europe or the United States.
Last updated January 20, 2016