The Master's Degree in Physical Exercise and Health is the program which best represents the research of Universidad Europea (the leader in sports science research in Spain 2012), and benefits from the experience of Real Madrid CF. It will help you become a well-rounded professional in the fastest-growing field of employment in sports (with internships closely connected to future job openings), backed by the guarantees of a Master's Degree from the UEM School of Sports Science. And if you want, you can also train as a researcher by taking the PhD in Physical Activity and Sports, certified by ANECA (the Spanish National Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation), at Universidad Europea de Madrid.
The concept of health has long been associated with the classic definition of the absence of illness (biomedical model). However, the new concept of health proposed by the World Health Organization (WHO) involves alternative indicators and adopting behaviors which reduce the probability of illness, discomfort and suffering (biopsychosocial model).
This new conception gives individuals an active role in their state of health, emphasizing lifestyle and physical exercise among the behavioral habits which most help to improve it.
Also, according to the latest Spanish survey on public health, one out of every six people aged over 15 has a chronic health problem. This fact shows that physical exercise professionals need to specialize in different pathologies in order to achieve all the benefits it can offer, but adapted to each particular individual.
The Master's Degree in Physical Exercise and Health, the first Master's Degree of its kind to be offered in Spain, has undertaken the task of designing specific training programs and improving the quality of life of large sections of the population.
Based on the biopsychosocial model, it has developed a program which essentially focuses on the three dimensions of health: biological, psychological and social, in order to address the needs of various populations with some type of pathology, or the elderly.
For all these purposes, Universidad Europea provides the latest technology, solid experience, an holistic vision, and one of the best faculties in the world.
Designed for: The Master's Degree is aimed at holders of university degrees in Physical Activity, Psychology or Education, Health Sciences and Physical Education Teaching.
Qualification: At the end of the course, students will receive the Offcial Master’s Degree of Máster Universitario en Actividad Física y Salud.
Duration: 60 ECTS, from October to June
Classes will be held on 15 alternate weekends.
Friday 5.30 to 9.30 p.m., Saturday 8.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. and 2.30 to 8.30 p.m., and Sunday 8.30 a.m. to 2.30 p.m.
The Master's Theses will be defended on July 2
Campus: Villaviciosa de Odón (Madrid)
The laboratories and facilities are fully equipped:
- Exercise physiology laboratory: Vmax gas analyzer, YSI 1500 lactate analyzer, ABL-77 pH and electrolyte analyzer, cycle ergometer with electromagnetic brakes and cycle ergometer with mechanical brakes, arm ergometer, treadmill, blood biochemistry analyzer, ammonium analyzer, electrostimulator, electromyograph, anthropometry and body composition analysis equipment, 12-channel electrocardiograph, telemetric heart rate recorders, etc.
- Athletic training laboratory: machines for assessing and analyzing isodynamic strength, portable accelerometers for estimating calorie expenditure, telemetric heart rate recorders and fitness room.
- Biomedical laboratory: SISMEX blood analyzer and biochemical analyzer, hormones (ELISA, RIA, etc.), latest-generation DNA sequencer with capillary technology, etc.
- Biomechanics laboratory: dynamometric platform, 2 or 3D digitalization, jump mat, all for kinematic and kinetic analysis, etc.
Students can also carry out internships at:
- Senior residences
- Hospitals or private clinics
- Research units
- Hotel chains
- Fitness chains
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 4, 2015