MSc in Information Security & Privacy
1 year (Full-time) / 3 years (Part-time) / n/a (Distance / E-Learning)
Students taking the Information Security & Privacy degree are given the opportunity to gain external accreditation in Microsystemation XRY, an industry-leading mobile phone forensics tool. The School is one of only five universities in the UK to offer this training
Appropriate security measures are an essential part of any modern enterprise. A detailed understanding of the key threats and the essential techniques for ensuring security, privacy and trust are fundamental requirements for successful information systems.Emerging software deployment and use, through the use of data outsourcing such as in Cloud computing and with the increasing use of social media platforms, opens up significant security and privacy issues which future IT professionals need to be aware of. Professionals in this field are well placed for a wide variety of employment opportunities.
- Opportunity to gain external accreditation in Microsystemation XRY, an industry-leading mobile phone forensics tool.
- A systemic view of the relationship between business needs and security solutions is emphasised.
- Practitioner-led modules integrate the latest research ideas with current best practice.
- Flexible choice of project topic reflecting your own interests.
This programme addresses the key security issues that are faced by global communications and information systems. The programme provides a mix of business context with core security, trust and privacy issues that challenge the IT sector. As well as studying themes such as trust and identity and forensic investigation, security techniques and network and cyber security, the programme provides an understanding of the e-Commerce and business environment. This combined business/security approach provides valuable training for interacting with organisations, and understanding their business functions in a deeper context.
Using case based analysis the programme also gives you the opportunity to learn about forensic approaches to investigation across multiple platforms. On a practical level, you have the opportunity to gain external accreditation for use of market leading forensic software, as taught in our dedicated network security lab. The School is one of only five universities in the UK to offer training in Microsystemation XRY, an industry-leading mobile phone forensics tool used by more than 85 percent of police forces and all major forensic laboratories in the UK and Ireland.
Full time students study four compulsory modules each semester. Part-time students study two compulsory modules each semester.
- Business and IT Management
- E-Commerce and Innovation
- Forensics, Trust and Identity
- Information, Network and Cyber Security
- Security Techniques
- Distributed and Cloud Computing
- Information Modelling and Database Systems
- Understanding of security theory and practice
- Use of security techniques for network-based systems
- Influence of security on business practice and e-commerce
- Hands-on experience of using security audit, monitoring and assessment tools
Graduates are well prepared for a career in industrial, commercial, or governmental organisations with particular responsibility for information and process security.
Career destinations include: Information security manager, risk manager, technical security roles in computer forensics, identity management roles, secure systems developer, industrial and university research.
Applicants will possess a 2:2 Honours degree in computer science, computing or a cognate subject. Graduates of other disciplines will demonstrate awareness of the broad scope of information systems and their context.
Applicants whose first language is not English are normally expected to meet the minimum University requirements (e.g. 6.5 IELTS, with at least 6.0 in each area).
- UK & EU Full Time Fees: (Payable annually and those stated are for 2015/16 unless otherwise stated below). £7,560.00
- UK & EU Part Time Fees: (Payable annually and those stated are for 2015/16 unless otherwise stated below). £3,780.00. Project fee: £945
- International Full Time Fees: (Payable annually and those stated are for 2015/16 unless otherwise stated below). £17,500.00
- International Part Time Fees: (Payable annually and those stated are for 2015/16 unless otherwise stated below). £8,750.00. Project fee: £2187
September each year
This school offers programs in: