Mission of the Faculty
Horticultural plants are a very important part of human environment, human diet and are used in a natural medicine as a remedy against many civilization diseases.
The faculty of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture aims at providing students with a comprehensive knowledge of modern horticulture, including growing and postharvest technologies of horticultural crops grown in temperate climate - vegetable crops, medicinal plants, fruits, ornamental plants, knowledge of integrated pest management, pro-ecological production, biotechnological methods, landscape protection, etc.
Mission of the specialization (major)
The specialization in horticulture has been established to provide students with understanding of biological background in growing horticultural crops and postharvest "life" of vegetables, fruits and ornamental plants. The programme aims also to introduce students to the up-to-date knowledge of environmental-friendly and ecological methods of production of vegetables, fruits and medicinal plants, their storage and postharvest technologies, of using ornamental plants in human environment as well as knowledge of integrated pest management (IPM).
Detailed programme of the studies:
a) Obligatory subjects, offered during three semesters of the studies
Sustainable horticulture; Molecular biology; Mathematical statistics; Modern trends in horticulture; Landscape protection and ecology; Postharvest biology and technology; Diploma seminar
b) Facultative subjects, to be chosen by students during the studies
Ornamental plants in human environment, Fruits of the World, Medicinal plants from natural habitats, Plants in human diet, Propagation of ornamental plants, Advanced plant pathology, Integrated pest management, Biological control, Eco-toxicology, Quality evaluation of products (incl: chemical, physical and sensory methods), Phytoremediation in horticulture, Stresses in plants cultivation, Bioinformatics, Plant biotechnology – molecular bases, Breeding in horticulture, Physiology of vegetable crops, Floristics, Plants' mysteries under microscope
Students are acquainted with the principles of sustainable horticulture, processes influencing biological value of plant produce. In addition, they gain the skills how to plan and organize production and storage of horticultural crops, as well as how to arrange human environment with ornamental plants. They obtain the diploma: Master of Sciences in Horticulture (Magister inżynier ogrodnictwa).
Bachelor degree in Horticulture, Agriculture, Biology or Environmental Sciences. Verified command of English. Students graduated from Polish universities are also welcome (without paying fee).
Duration: three semesters; start: 1st March
Application deadline: 15 January
- Qualification based on results from the first degree studies (grades average) and motivation letter.
- Verified command of English.
Number of places available: 15 to 17.
The following documents should be sent via e-mail or submitted by you to the Office for Students Affairs:
- Signed application form with a photograph attached;
- A photocopy of valid passport or other document confirming the identity of the candidate (the original document is to be presented upon arrival);
- CV in Polish or English;
- A document confirming the knowledge of English;
- A certificate from consulate confirming Polish descent or Polish Charter, if the candidate holds one;
- Original or certified copy of higher education graduation diploma (a photocopy of the original certified with the seal of the institution/university that has issued it.), together with supplement/transcript of records (a specification including the subjects taken, numer of hours and grades), entitling to undertake second-cycle studies in the country of its issue. The Diploma must bear an apostille.
- A copy of high school leaving certificate – a document entitling to undertake studies in the country of its issue. On request the applicant is obliged to provide apostille.
- Documents issued in languages other than Polish or English must be translated. The translation shall be made or certified by the Consul of the RP or by a sworn translator, entered into the panel of sworn translations of Ministry of Justice.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 9, 2016