MSc in Engineering Surveying and Geodesy
The course is designed for students who wish to develop the understanding and working knowledge of the principles and applications of a variety of surveying devices and techniques.
Versions of this MSc have been running at the University of Nottingham, UK for almost 20 years. This course runs entirely at the University of Nottingham Ningbo China. This course provides students with the ability to appreciate and apply state of the art engineering surveying techniques within apractical context. The course includes the principles behind surveying such as reference systems, and geodesy, as well as the techniques and equipment used in engineering surveying, photogrammetry and satellite positioning systems such as GPS.
In addition to the formal part of the course, we run practical classes that allow students to see and learn how to use and operate a very wide variety of state of the art surveying equipment and software, including laser scanners, servo driven total stations, RTK and Network RTK GPS, digital and analogue photogrammetry, LiDAR, Sar and InSAR.
Students will develop:
- The ability to apply their skills directly within the surveying industry
- The ability to react quickly to new technologies and innovations
- The ability to communicate ideas effectively in written reports, verbally and by means of presentations to groups
- The ability to exercise original thought
- The ability to plan and undertake an individual project
- Tnterpersonal, communication and professional skills
The course consists of 120 credits of core and optional taught modules along with a 60 credit major individual research-based project undertaken over the summer term. It also available as a Postgraduate Diploma which covers the same taught modules but does not undertake the research project. Please be aware modules are subject to change.
Applicants are usually required to have a 2.1 honours degree (or international equivalent) for the MSc or 2.2 (Lower 2nd class) for the Postgraduate Diploma, in a relevant discipline, for example
science, engineering or mathematics. Other qualifications and/or extensive professional experience may also be accepted.
English language requirements are:
- IELTS 5.5 with the writing band no less than 5.0 or
- TOEFL (paper based) 525 + TWE no less than 4.0 or
- TOEFL (computer based) 196 + TWE no less than 4.0
- TOEFL (IBT) 71 (no less than 17 in any element)
- IELTS score of at least 6.0 with a minimum score of 5.0 in any element or
- TOEFL (paper based) score of at least 550 + TWE no less than 4.0 or
- TOEFL (Computer based) score of at least 210 + TWE no less than 4.0 or
- TOEFL (IBT) 79 (minimum 17 in any element)
Last updated October 16, 2015