- 1st round: March 2nd - April 27th 2015
- 2nd round: May 18th - June 15th 2015
- Late Applications: June 22nd - June 29th 2015
Please note that late applications (after June 22nd 2015) from overseas candidates requiring visas will only be considered if their visa request is already being processed. Please contact the MSc Marketing and Admissions Office for further information.
- €7.990 (3 semesters) | €9.500 (4 semesters) plus a registration fee of €320 per year (EEA and Non-EEA)
Credits: 90 ECTS (3 semesters) or 120 ECTS (4 semesters)
Duration full-time: 3 - 4 semesters (international exchange semester is optional (and adds a 4th semester)
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Delivery mode: On Campus
Educational variant: Full-time
Link website: http://www.clsbe.lisboa.ucp.pt/site/custom/template/fceetplgeneric.asp?sspageID=68&lang=2
The MSc in Economics provides students with the conceptual tools and advanced analytic techniques to apply economic reasoning to demanding issues in today's private business, public policy, and academic research domains.
The program follows rigorous international standards. Classes are small, taught by internationally recognized professors and industry experts, and focused on advanced economic knowledge and techniques. The program is suited to students with both applied interests and more research-oriented profiles.
Once the first foundation semester is completed, you can focus on a major. At the same time, prepare for the workplace with Leadership Lab activities and internship opportunities. The Master in Economics gives you the opportunity to pursue a Double Degree or a Joint Degree at a top international school, or a one-semester international exchange.
This program is designed to provide you with the academic knowledge, the technical tools, and the practical skills to succeed in a variety of private and public sector careers. Graduates pursue high level careers in international agencies, regulation and competition bodies, and universities, as well as in consulting, finance, strategy and accounting, among other fields.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
- Graduates in Economics, Management, or another quantitative discipline who seek to acquire the conceptual tools and training in quantitative methods to understand economic issues and apply economic reasoning to private business, public policy, or academic research domains.
- International exposure (exchange, summer school or internship abroad) and extracurricular achievements are highly valued by the Admissions Jury.
- Have a Master degree at the only Portuguese Business School among Europe's Top 25, according to the Financial Times.
- Became part of an alumni network of more than 40.000 graduates worldwide.
- Choosing one of the major’s offered you have the opportunity to invest and specialize in your favorite field, while presenting a balanced perspective on Economics.
- CATÓLICA-LISBON is well-known for its academic excellence! We offer rigorous quality in every course we teach using state-of-the-art knowledge.
- A Master's degree will ensure better placement success rates, higher autonomy and responsibility during your first jobs and most importantly, greater potential! CATÓLICA-LISBON places over 97% of its graduates in 3 months after completing their degree.
This Master program offers you strong theoretical and empirical foundations in economics. Several specializations allow you to choose your favorite field. Students obtain advanced training in quantitative methods for careers in consulting, finance or research, at government and international agencies, or at public and private companies in several functional areas. State-of-art economic theory and techniques are taught by internationally recognized academic and professional experts. Small classes allow for intensive interaction with faculty and guidance on projects. Candidates should have a background in quantitative methods.
The coursework phase lasts one year and consists of Foundation courses, Major courses, and Elective courses. In addition, to develop professional and soft skills, you will select Leadership Lab activities and a summer internship. A final thesis project gives you the opportunity to work closely with top professors and apply what you have learned to an individual project.
The program has 90 ECTS, divided across foundation courses, courses in a selected major, elective courses, leadership lab activities and workshops, and thesis.
Our MSc in Economics is structure in:
FOUNDATION COURSES [25 ECTS]
These courses are designed to structure and consolidate your knowledge, skills and intuition of economics:
MAJOR COURSES [28 ECTS]
Deepen your Learning in one area, and acquire knowledge and skills for specific jobs in private or public institutions. Choose one of the following majors:
ELECTIVES COURSES [5 ECTS]
Each year CATÓLICA-LISBON will offer a range of electives, taught by our own faculty and by prestigious invited lecturers.
Elective courses can also be selected from other Majors, as well as from other MSc Programs at CATÓLICA-LISBON.
You may also opt to follow an international track and choose to do a third semester abroad at a partner University, picking up additional courses that suit the profile you wish to construct.
Spending the entire whole year abroad to pursue a Joint Degree or Double Degree program with a partner University is an appealing option for those interested in an international career.
INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT
To enrich your international experience and your CV, you can choose among the following:
- An exchange semester, or a Double/Joint Degree with one of CATÓLICA-LISBON's prestigious partner schools around the world;
- A summer internship (6 weeks minimum) in a country other than your home nation. Students who have completed an international internship recently before starting the program will automatically fulfill this requirement.
- A study project abroad (6 week's minimum).
LEADERSHIP LAB [2 ECTS]
By participating in Leadership Lab, you will enhance your preparation for the job market and for advancing in your career. Workshops and activities are designed to help you discover your strengths, learn and practice new professional skills, and expand your career horizons through feedback from colleagues and industry professionals. Participate in a realistic assessment center and select workshops tailored to your career aims. Strengthen your professional skills in key areas:
COMMUNICATION AND INFLUENCE / TEAMWORK / CREATIVITY / ADAPTABILITY / MAKING THINGS HAPPEN
Define your goals and select from a variety of job search and professional skills workshops and activities, including international field trips, guest speakers, and workshops focused on key competencies.
Although the final semester is an especially important time to bridge your academic and professional lives, Career Development Office is available throughout the program to work closely with you as you select, prepare, and apply for specific career paths.
THESIS PROJECT [30 ECTS]
The thesis project requirement involves both an internship and a dissertation. In these you will apply the knowledge, the analytic skills, and the professional competencies you have acquired in the program.
Internships are usually 4-6 weeks over the summer. The third semester (or fourth semester, if you do an exchange semester abroad) is focused on your dissertation/thesis project. The thesis can involve participation in academic research, or can be related to professional experience acquired during your internship.
THE BEST PASSPORT FOR AN INTERNATIONAL CAREER!
Spend one year at CATÓLICA-LISBON followed by a second year at the partner school of your choice and get two diplomas.
What is a Double Degree? A Double Degree is a joint program that allows you to:
- Study at two top business and economic schools
- Receive two diplomas, one from each University
- Create a differentiating factor in your CV
- Spend the first academic year at CATÓLICA-LISBON and the second academic year at a partner School
- Both programs are taught in English
Why a Double Degree?
- To challenge yourself academically, through new academic experiences
- To increase your cultural and social experiences
- To explore a new business environment
- To create an international business network
- To spend one full year abroad in a great city and a great school
- To be part of an international community
- To gain a passport for an international career
INTERNATIONAL TRIANGLE PROGRAM
You can opt for an extension to your international experience. More than an exchange semester you can have a double exchange semester.
This program allows you to spend the first year at CATÓLICA-LISBON and during the second year, you can choose two schools, one during each semester.
You have the opportunity to study at three Top Business Schools. You can choose your own path!
Take the chance to attend two of the following schools:
MSC IN ECONOMICS REQUIREMENTS
- 1st cycle degree in Economics, Business/Management or other quantitative discipline
- English Proficiency
- International exposure (exchange, summer school or internship)
- Extracurricular achievements
- Curriculum Vitae in English.
- Statement of Purpose
- University Transcripts of Records confirming academic qualifications (Portuguese or English). For application purposes we do not require a formal certificate from your School, but we do require a non official document with ALL the courses you attended and its grades (you may print this information from your students' personal webpage). We will require a formal certificate after completing your degree and no later than October (for September intake) and March (for February intake). International students: The Transcript of Records must be authenticated by the official education authority of the relevant country. This authority will also have to be recognized by the Portuguese diplomatic corps or consulate or be accompanied by a Hague Convention Apostille.
- You can present one of the following certificates, until the beginning of the intake, to prove your English proficiency or take a CATÓLICA-LISBON English Test: -TOEFL (recommended score): 600 (PBT), 250 (CBT), or 100 (IBT). If you wish the TOEFL centre to send us your score, our code is 8339.
- GMAT or you can take the CATÓLICA-LISBON Admission Test: -Mandatory for applicants with a Background in an area different from Economics and Management
-IELTS (recommended score): 7.0
-Certificate in advance English (CAE) minimum of C
-The admission jury may request this exam from applicants with a background in management or economics if they decide that is justifiable
Important note - The payments of these tests are non refundable (English test - €45 and Admission test - €40). The application fee and the enrollment fee are also non refundable.
CATÓLICA-LISBON Top+ is a scholarship program for students with an outstanding academic record.
Implemented by CATÓLICA-LISBON, this program allows high-potential students to complete the MSc at CATÓLICA-LISBON with a partial waiver of MSc fees, ranging from 25% to 90%. We encourage outstanding students to apply for these scholarships; especially those that have completed their first cycle degree at the top of their classes (for example, average final grades of 77.50% or above).
The following criteria are highly valued by the jury:
- Undergraduate GPA and academic performance
- International experience
- Extracurricular activities
- Professional experience (e.g. internships)
- Contribution to the diversity of the group
- Contribution to School activities
- Results of GMAT or CATÓLICA-LISBON Admission Test, if applicable.
EXCEPTION: Double Degree and Joint Degree students must pay the tuition fees in the 2nd year of the Program while they are abroad.
Scholarships based on social criteria
Scholarships are based on economics and academic factors.
Through an application process that establishes economic need and academic performance, Social Services, through the University's Student Services Office, may fund all or part of the student's studies.
In this scholarship, the academic performance is also taken into consideration and the student may have part of his/her tuition fees financed. In addition, an activity to support the school will be requested.
In addition to this scholarship provided by the school, we strongly recommend that you check in your home country about local government scholarship possibilities (embassy, consulate) Loans
Top international bank institutions offer low-interest loans to students that cover tuition fees and study-related expenses. The applications for these loans should be submitted directly to the bank.
In addition, we strongly encourage you to check out the financial institutions in your home country.
This school offers programs in: