MSc in Digital Service Design
About the Course
The MSc in Digital Service Design is a new course focused on developing a highly relevant skill set in this fast-growing aspect of the digital design industry worldwide.
It was developed in conjunction with Wilson Fletcher, a long-established, leading digital service design consultancy and is based on a series of discussions we had with companies working in the digital service design sector who felt that graduates wishing to work in this area did not have the right skills to enter the industry at an appropriate level.
The programme provides students with a learning environment led by academics delivering research-led content but founded on significant industry-based practice components, including placements, mentoring from experienced professionals and the opportunity for a company-sponsored dissertation project. This will be achieved through our links with Wilson Fletcher (and other companies) based in Shoreditch, viewed as the new European hub for digital design.
The work placements will provide a stimulating environment for students to learn how to apply their knowledge and skills in the real-world. Projects will be based on real-world briefs, and external experts will feed regular content into the course throughout the year in the form of talks, reviews and workshops. As a result of this novel approach, this course will provide students with both a robust foundation in theory and practical understanding of the methods, tools and techniques required to conceive, design and evaluate digital services by learning real world skills that are in touch with the needs of the commercial digital service design sector.
By the end of the course, you should be able to
- Model key aspects of digital service design requirements in an integrated and logical manner
- Demonstrate a critical and practical understanding of the issues relevant to digital service design and their use in the context of modern industry and commercial environments
- Demonstrate a critical and practical understanding of digital service design methodologies and the role they play in business development
- Demonstrate a critical and practical understanding of the professional skills necessary for effective digital service design in a business environment
- Reflect, critically and in-depth, on relevant aspects of the state-of-the art of both the practice and theory of digital service design
This programme offers the combination of educational excellence (with teaching contributions being made by practitioners in the field in the form of guest lectures), together with a strong focus on employability. On this programme, the students will be equipped to take academic concepts and apply them in the commercial environment, working in settings representative of industry, achieved through our links with Wilson Fletcher (and other companies), all of whom are based in Shoreditch (viewed as the new European centre for innovation and creativity).
Students will have the opportunity for work placements in terms one and two, as well as the opportunity to undertake a company-sponsored dissertation project in term three. The work placements on this course will provide a stimulating environment for students to learn how to apply their knowledge and skills: they are provided with a clear union of teaching, research and employability. Fees for 2014/15 entry
UK/EU students: £9,000 full-time
International students: £16,000 full-time
A UK first or second class (2:1) Honours degree or equivalent internationally recognised and usually come from a and usually come from an Arts, Design, Social Sciences, Computer Science or Humanities background.
Applicants with other qualifications with industrial experience (that is relevant to the subject area) may be considered and will assessed on an individual basis and industrial certifications may be taken into account (such as those provided by organisations such as Microsoft and Sun for example). Such applicants may be required to attend an interview.
English Language Requirements
- IELTS: 6.5 (min 6 in all areas)
- TOEFL Paper test: 580 (TWE 4.5) PBT
- TOEFL Internet test: 92 IBT (R20, L20, S20, W20)
- Pearson: 58 (51 in all subscores)
- BrunELT: 65% (min 60% in all areas)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 6, 2016