MSc in Construction Management
The Building and Construction Sector is one of the most important and dynamic sectors in the Caribbean, and the industry has become more complex as clients have become more demanding, the regulatory framework more intricate, technology pervasive, and cost control a requirement. The MSc. in Building and Construction Management has been designed to address the shortage of construction managers who can effectively navigate this multifaceted, knowledge-rich and competitive context. It is designed for individuals from building and construction and related public and private organizations who want to develop an awareness of the range of challenges that face managers in planning, building, construction and facilities maintenance today. At the highest level, the programme seeks to equip its participants to take a leadership position in public discussions and actions that impact and enhance the health of overall industry.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
At an implementation level, the seeks to enhance the quality, sustainability, safety, timeliness, and cost effectiveness of projects undertaken in the Caribbean by its graduates. The objectives of the programme are to equip participants to:
- broaden their knowledge, interpersonal, and technical skills in managing people, resources, equipment and materials, schedules, budgets, stakeholders, financial and project risk and uncertainty;
- address contemporary issues in building such as environmental impact, natural hazards, safety, ethics and the regulatory environment;
- carry out both field and research-based projects in which their ability to frame and solve problems, develop strategies and recommendations, lead teams, communicate effectively on all levels will be demonstrated in real time and applicable to future situations; and to
- represent the Caribbean construction professional as a proactive lifelong learner and subject matter expert.
Applications to the programme are invited from persons who satisfy any of the following:
- I. For DEGREE APPLICANTS
- a. A bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in Civil, Structural, Construction, Building or Architectural Engineering; or
- b. A bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in Architecture or Quantity Surveying or Surveying & Land Information; or
- c. An equivalent qualification acceptable to the Department of Management Studies.
- II. For NON-DEGREE APPLICANTS
The Department of Management Studies is mindful that a number of practitioners in the Caribbean are holders of either technical certificates or diplomas, or have significant years of construction management experience. Thus, applications are invited from persons who may satisfy all of the following conditions:
- a. They hold technical certificates or that can be assessed by the University of the West and
- b. They have at least five (5) years professional experience in an appropriate and
- c. They are successful at an interview to be conducted by a panel to be selected by the department of Management Studies.