MSc in Business Analytics
Considering Schulich for your MSc in Business Analytics? We invite you to experience Schulich first hand by visiting the campus, attending an event or simply starting a conversation with our admissions team.
Set yourself apart from the competition.
Business analytics is a $12.2 billion (U.S., 2011) productivity tool, according to Gartner Research. Yet few companies are equipped with the tools and talent to effectively leverage the data at their disposal to create value and drive decision making. The competition for talent to analyze big data is intense. In fact, McKinsey & Company forecasts a shortage of business analysts by 2018.
The one year full-time Schulich MSc in Business Analytics is designed to position its graduates to meet the growing demands of big data and analytics, and be key drivers of data-driven strategies, in areas such as banking, consulting, health care and government.
The Schulich Master of Science in Business Analytics is an intensive and academically rigorous one year full-time program. It consists of two terms of course work that focus on developing the quantitative and technical skills the industry demands, coupled with the communication skills and strategic mind set to transform data into a competitive asset. The capstone of the program is a Major Research Project in which students focus on hands-on problem driven research, normally while working on a 12 week project with a company.
Graduates of the program will:
- Possess the skills required to apply advanced statistical analysis to gather and analyze data.
- Understand customer and transactional data and be able to translate it into more effective customer engagement strategies.
- Acquire the tools to distil big data in a clear and concise manner to support decision making.
- Be proficient in analytics tools, such as SAS.
- Hone presentation, data visualization, and communication skills needed to engage a variety of stakeholders on complex issues.
- Understand how to create value and enhance productivity in specific sectors and functional areas.
- Have an appreciation of theoretical and empirical academic research in business analytics.
- Be exposed to the constraints and opportunities of leveraging business analytics within the context of a real organization.
- Understand the ethical and legal ramifications of data gathering, particularly as they relate to privacy and data security.
To be eligible for consideration, each applicant must meet the general admission criteria outlined below.
All applicants are expected to be computer proficient and have access to computing equipment that can interface with the Schulich network through a plug-in connection. A good working knowledge of a word processing program and a standard spreadsheet program (e.g. enter data into a spreadsheet; manipulate data using simple functions; print out a formatted report; insert spreadsheet output into a text file).
- Undergraduate honours degree or equivalent (typically a four-year full-time program) from a recognized post-secondary institution in a field entailing significant quantitative and computational requirements, such as commerce, engineering, computer science, natural science, economics, mathematics, or statistics
- Minimum B+ average over the last two years of full-time equivalent university studies
Candidates who have studied at an accredited degree granting institution in India, Nepal, Pakistan or Bangladesh must present the academic requirement(s) listed in one of the categories below:
a) Both a Bachelor's and Master's degree (First Class Standing);
b) Bachelor of Engineering degree (First Class Standing)
One full set of official transcripts must be sent directly from each university attended to the Schulich School of Business.
Acceptable scores on all GMAT measures. Test results over 5 years old will not be accepted.
Proof of language proficiency is required for applicants who do not meet one of the following criteria:
- their first language is English; or
- they have completed at least two years of full time study at an accredited university in a country (or institution) where English is the official language.
A minimum TOEFL score of 600 (paper-based) or 250 (computer-based), 100 (iBT), IELTS 7.0 or YELT score of Band 1 or equivalent is required.
Two letters of reference - one academic and one professional/work reference.
Relevant Work Experience
Preferred but not required.
Last updated August 28, 2015